Stephen's 550L tank log:

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

Europa wrote: You have an absolutely stunning aquarium there Stephen, and the photos are superb. Just got to the current end of your log and I am taken aback by the amount of work you have done to achieve this spectacular result.
How do you do your water changes? I read where you said you used your mixer tap, but how do you get your feed to the tank? Just a length of pipe from tap to Tank? I'm looking for an easier way myself being a fellow back pain sufferer!
Liz
Hi Liz
Thank you for the compliment, appreciated.

I use a long piece of hose (16/22mm) similar to the hose on the filters.
I attach this hose to a spare shepherds hook, the same as the inlet pipe and place a strainer on the end to prevent fish entering the pipework.
The one end of the hose is hung over the tank whilst the other end is outside. I start the syphon and water goes outside, I use some to actually waters the plants.
When the water level is low enough I lift the shepherds hook out of the water which stops the syphon.

To refill the tank I attach the end that was outside to my mixer taps, I attach a 23mm brass adapter to the mixer tap which makes it easier, I attach the hose to this and hold it in place using a hose clip. The other end with the shepherds hook & strainer is still hooked over the tank.
I measure out enough Seachem Prime to dose for the whole tank, that's about 15ml for a 600L tank.
I turn on the mixer taps, the hot is on about 20% and the cold is on about 70% which gives roughly the temperature I require.
As the tank starts to fill I dose the Seachem Prime that I previously prepared and add it to where the water is now coming in.
The water coming in displaces some of the sand and the otos (Otocinclus fish) love the turbulence caused by this stream of water and get right in there. Other fish go close to grab bit of food being kicked up.
When the water is at the correct level (full tank) I turn the taps off and level the displaced sand.

I have placed an in-line tap about 3 foot from the shepherds hook which allows me to stop, re-start the syphon process.
I also remove the shepherds hook and use the bare end of the pipe to syphon any debris from the surface of the sand, being careful not to attract the fish.

Here's some pics of what I use:

shepherds hook & strainer (example only)

23mm tap adapter (also can be used to fit hoselock hose and other attachments)

Hose clip

my mixer tap

The end of my mixer tap can be unscrewed to allow the tap adapter to be fitted.
Eheim in-line tap 16mm

Hope it helps
Stephen
Last edited by Stephen on Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

The only pic a little OOF is the black neon, the others are very good. :)
I like the sterbai. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Europa

This is an excellent system you have going there Stephen. Thank you for explaining it so thoroughly and with all the photographs too. I am thinking about doing something similar, but I have one of those mixer taps that you pull a flexible pipe out of, so I don't think anything would connect to it.
Liz
Juwel Vision 180 L

1 Bristle Nose Plec
6 Glass Catfish
4 Kuhli Loach

Artificial Plants (too much algae to cope with live plants)
External filter Eheim Ecco 300
Air pump/ air stone.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

[quote=plankton]
The only pic a little OOF is the black neon, the others are very good. :)
I like the sterbai. ;)
[/quote]

The black neons are quite quick.
I'm still too close to the glass to allow the camera/lens combo to focus correctly, I may get the tripod out, then again I might not.
I didn't spend £850 on a macro lens to take just fish pics but I will try again.
Last edited by Stephen on Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)