Albino Sterbai Corydoras

Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

Hi has anybody ever kept Albino Sterbai Corys?

Was wondering if they school well with the standard ones or not.

Currently have 6 standard ones which I was gonna add to but in two minds whether to integrate some albino ones in with them or stick to all the same kind.

With my sand being dark Albinos would stand out more of course but am I right in saying corys prefer to be more of a colour-match to the substrate to feel secure?

Cheers

BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Sixo wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 17:54 pm Hi has anybody ever kept Albino Sterbai Corys?

Was wondering if they school well with the standard ones or not.

Currently have 6 standard ones which I was gonna add to but in two minds whether to integrate some albino ones in with them or stick to all the same kind.

With my sand being dark Albinos would stand out more of course but am I right in saying corys prefer to be more of a colour-match to the substrate to feel secure?

Cheers

They will school with the others fine.

I've only ever kept my Cory's on standard coloured sand.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Sixo
Posting Legend

I've always wanted to keep the normal ones but wondered if a mix with some albinos would give a 'best of both' effect or just add more normal ones to make more of a school.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

I've got both. These days they never seem to school much at all, but are all over the tank and always digging around in the sand. (Think I've got about 16 normals and 6 albinos and my tank is just over 2 meters long)

When breeding they do seem to stick to their own colours. There'll be a group of 3/4 normal males chasing a normal female and I've had albino babies, which obviously means the albinos crossed together (and I've seen this behaviour too). I wanted a variation in cories, but read it's better to have larger groups of the same kind, so the albinos were my compromise. Albinos can be hard to find and mad prices in some places and fairly reasonable in others.
Sixo
Posting Legend

Si4geckos wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 19:41 pm I've got both. These days they never seem to school much at all, but are all over the tank and always digging around in the sand. (Think I've got about 16 normals and 6 albinos and my tank is just over 2 meters long)

When breeding they do seem to stick to their own colours. There'll be a group of 3/4 normal males chasing a normal female and I've had albino babies, which obviously means the albinos crossed together (and I've seen this behaviour too). I wanted a variation in cories, but read it's better to have larger groups of the same kind, so the albinos were my compromise. Albinos can be hard to find and mad prices in some places and fairly reasonable in others.
I never looked at the price of the Albino Sterbai when I saw them the other day I may need to check that out first, I know what you mean with the variation, I just don't want to end up with 2 different camps. But Albinos do look awesome on the dark sand.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Sixo wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 19:51 pm
Si4geckos wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 19:41 pm I've got both. These days they never seem to school much at all, but are all over the tank and always digging around in the sand. (Think I've got about 16 normals and 6 albinos and my tank is just over 2 meters long)

I never looked at the price of the Albino Sterbai when I saw them the other day I may need to check that out first, I know what you mean with the variation, I just don't want to end up with 2 different camps. But Albinos do look awesome on the dark sand.
First (and only) place I saw them for a long time was my local Maidehead aquatics. Think they were £18.99 each. I was still tempted even at the mad price as I couldn't find them anywhere else. Then eventually I stumbled upon an auction with them on the list. Thankfully nobody else seemed to want them so I got 4 for the starting bid/ price. They've bred and I've now got a couple more now at adult size. I'm pretty sure I've seen them in another Maindenhead for less than a tenner each since, but very small.
Sixo
Posting Legend

Si4geckos wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 19:41 pm I've got both. These days they never seem to school much at all, but are all over the tank and always digging around in the sand
Are you glad you went for the mix Si or do you wish you'd just stuck with the one kind?
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Sixo wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 20:18 pm
Si4geckos wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 19:41 pm I've got both. These days they never seem to school much at all, but are all over the tank and always digging around in the sand
Are you glad you went for the mix Si or do you wish you'd just stuck with the one kind?
Prefer the mix. I like the variety, but no risk of crossbreeding species, etc and same water requirements for 2 completely different looking fish. If I had room for a smaller number I'd just have normals, but having a few white ones, really mixes the group up.
Sixo
Posting Legend

For simplicity's sake I'm maybe better with just the normal ones, I'd definitely want more normals to albinos but given I can only probably keep about a dozen corys at the most it's maybe no worth the hassle.

Just need to get a bigger house/tank 😄
Sixo
Posting Legend

Got 4 Albinos (couldn't resist) photos to follow ....