Jumped or was pushed? A sad mystery...

Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Jumped or was pushed? A sad mystery...

Post by Si4geckos »

A very weird thing happened yesterday.

My partner came upstairs to get something, then went back down and shouted to me that there was fish on the floor!

I ran downstairs and there in the middle of the lounge was my biggest L397 panaqulous. I quickly scooped him up, but he'd definitely been dead and totally dried out for some time. The question is, how?

The tank water level is probably about 2 inches from the top or 1.5" at the highest. The tank is covered with glass lids, other than x2 small cut outs for filter pipes at the back. This fish basically lived under a log or in caves at the bottom and very rarely left the sand bed. I noticed his absence about 5 days ago from his usual cave, but sometimes the L397s swap homes for a few days and hide very well. He looked perfectly healthy, but just completely dry. Eyes sunken in, fins flared and all the hairs on his tail had become firm spikes.

I'm just perplexed how he got out the tank!

Do plecs jump? Is it just a freak coincidence he just managed to squeeze through a tiny gap in the lid? I assumed he 'appeared' because a cat dug him out from under the sofa or chair maybe, but how he made it out the water in the first place is puzzling me. If I remove any wood for cleaning, it goes in a bucket temporarily, then replace and check the bucket before I tip it away. Can't remember taking anything out the tank recently so it's got me stumped.

Very shocking and sad as he was such a beaut of a fish.

Are plecs jumpy fish?

PaulVerrall
Posting Legend

Re: Jumped or was pushed? A sad mystery...

Post by PaulVerrall »

Wow really sorry to hear that mate. No idea how that could happen
"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water, Shark's in the water. Our shark." "Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies..."

BigBen

Post by BigBen »

I've seen Bristlenoses eating above the waterline but I don't know about jumping. I would imagine it's possible if it was trying to get away from another fish but the cat must be responsible for the reappearance on the floor.
Discus, Corydoras, Loracaridinae, Dwarf Cichlids.

Stephen
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Post by Stephen »

Sorry for your loss Si :(

I know that my Flash pleco (L204, Panaqolus albivermis) can be quick when he wants to be but I have not seen him jump.

All the best
6 foot (550L) - Rio Ucayali themed
9 x juvenile Biotodoma Cupido, 54 x Paracheirodon innesi, 23 x Thayeria boehlkei, 30 x Gold Laser Cory (CW010), 2 x Flash pleco (L204) named George & Mildred

2 foot (120L) - Breeding tank (temporary stocked)
15 x Paracheirodon innesi, 9 x Three-lined Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Post by Gingerlove05 »

Sorry for your loss Si :(
I wouldn’t say they jump as a general rule but I have known SJP (my BN) to hit the lid on my tanks if I’ve filled up a bit more than usual.
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!

Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Post by Suse »

:( Sorry for your loss. I was going to suggest it might have happened when taking out an item from the tank eg wood/log - I had a near miss with 3 cories when I last did this a few months ago - I checked carefully before removing and placed it in a bucket, but found them all on the rug afterwards (patterned so I couldn't see them immediately) - thankfully all survived. I will never risk taking out the wood again. But, you said you don't remember taking anything out recently, so I'm stumped.

black ghost
Posting Legend

Post by black ghost »

Plecs are very powerful so they could jump for Brazil if they wanted to. And they can force their way through things if those things give at all. And when they get stuck they’ll often try and force their way through forwards first.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by plankton »

Sorry for your loss. :(
It is a very unusual circumstance though, especially with a lid on.
Maybe he got out during a water change and you didn't notice?

mattindevon

Post by mattindevon »

Sorry to hear that. Personally I'd be too paranoid to keep a lid on with anything less than the minimum cover to allow air in.
AquaEl 60x30x30: 3 x Rosy Tetra, 2 x Hillstream Loach, 2 x Albino Cory, 2 x Bronze Cory, 2 x Golden Eyed Dwarf Cichlid

black ghost
Posting Legend

Post by black ghost »

mattindevon wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:17 am Sorry to hear that. Personally I'd be too paranoid to keep a lid on with anything less than the minimum cover to allow air in.
You’d have to seal it to stop air getting in. You only need a tiny gap.