Random Cory death

CattyV
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 60 times

@plankton thank you I will most definitely have a look.

I was ok-ish knowing it was just new additions being affected but it’s old ones now so utterly confused.

I’ve sorted KH out and monitoring daily so see if it’s stable. I’ve treated for flukes just in case. If it’s not that I am going to blame the water board given it’s water changes doing the initial killing. I did email the water board to see if anything is being added in. Doubt they’ll answer but worth a shot!

Will just plod on for now. Thank you for all your help and advise.
Fluval Roma 125L - internal U3 filter
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

As said, keep plodding along and don’t give up 😁 you will always have bad moments in fish keeping. I lost two copperband’s when I was keeping marines and never figured out why. That’s £100 at trade prices, down the drain and non the wiser! It’s frustrating to say the least!

Oh and I also use herons for food. Currently using some of their freeze dried foods and they have certainly gone down well!
CattyV

@fr499y I've just ordered some high protein pellets and a mixed pellet. So will see how they go down!

I am sorry. I don’t mean to moan. I’m just very attached to all animals, fish included, and feel I’m failing them in some way. Poor Elvis passing was the last straw. He was such a character and I’d never seen a long finned peppered cory before either.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

Not your fault at all, but man made versions of any fish ( long finned or balloon versions tend to be just that ) don't seem to live as long! Plus they tend to be older fish to begin with as no one wants to buy a young long finned fish that... well doesn't have long fins!

I must admit, they look pretty cool!
CattyV

fr499y wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:40 am Not your fault at all, but man made versions of any fish ( long finned or balloon versions tend to be just that ) don't seem to live as long! Plus they tend to be older fish to begin with as no one wants to buy a young long finned fish that... well doesn't have long fins!

I must admit, they look pretty cool!
I did not realise that they were “man made” 😲 when I got him a few months ago he looked like the other two I have. Then he suddenly grew very long fins! I had a brief issue with a killifish attacking them so I took those back to the LFS, so it could be that the male killi chomped his fins down! They all got a bit shredded bless them. So, he was a surprise to be honest as I thought he was an ordinary peppered Cory.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

CattyV wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:59 pm
I did not realise that they were “man made” 😲
Not so much man made but its specific/line breeding (eg breeding the ones with the longest/biggest fins, then breeding the fry from them with more/other long finned fish etc) :)
The trouble is this does cause issues with the genetics in general.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
CattyV

Well there you go. Never knew. But yeah as I say he looked like you’re ordinary corydoras initially. I was looking back at photos of when I got them November time and he was short fins and chunky. He thinned out and grew long fins after Xmas. Poor thing. He was still a lovely fish.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
CattyV

Another casualty and can’t currently find my panda, who was acting out of breath too.

I’ve taken a photo in case I’m missing something as this peppered Cory showed no signs of fast breathing last night and I just came downstairs this morning to see him/her floating, when all seemed ok last night 😢

I’ve treated for flukes so far but clearly it can’t be that as they’re still dying. Unless it’s velvet? Noticed the last remaining peppered Cory flashing as well as breathing heavy, so guessing he will also go at some point. Not seen the characteristic gold dust appearance on bodies though, but I’m reading velvet can sometimes only affect the gills and not show visible symptoms? The tetras and rasboras seem to be ok. So far.... but if a parasite I’m guessing they’ll be infected next. My last honey gourami is breathing-ish fast but eating. I only have 2 left, so I’m resigned they’ll also go in the next few days.

The air pump has been in since Wednesday so I’m assuming there’s enough oxygen. KH at 6. Ph 7.8-8 currently. Tested my GH as well. That’s at 6. I’ve ordered a new liquid test kit for ammonia to see if I have a dud one or not. I don’t think so, but it’s the one thing haven’t ruled out yet. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the corys eat too much?

Either way I’m totally put off ever keeping corys again. It’s really sad as I loved them and would love to restock but this has been an absolutely awful experience. I am not confident at all they won’t still die if get replacements. Feeling very deflated :(

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Sorry for your loss. :(
I can't see anything obviously wrong with him......there's no redness or strange shapes...
I'm wondering whether the bicarbonate has complicated matters, but I have no idea??
I'd be tempted to change as much water as possible and see what happens with the rest.
I'd also do two small changes during the week rather than one big one and not use the bicarb.
CattyV

See I’m not so sure. They were dying long before I added the bicarbonate. So I have no clue. I’ve seen some KH buffers available that could try instead of bicarbonate. My tap KH is less than 1 so would just reduce the KH more. Would only raise it if higher in the tap. The joys of having soft water. Water changes also seem to spur on deaths, making me suspect the tap water being altered by the water company.

I’m trying to rule out any parasite that may have been introduced at some point. My panda (see pic) was euthanised last night and he was practically emaciated.

Thank you for your help. Just at a complete loss.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5