Red breasted Acara

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Blockhead
Been liked: 1 time

Hi. Has anyone had experience of keeping a red breasted Acara or Smiling cichlid in a community setup? Just thinking of getting a pair instead of a pair of Bolivian rams in a 240litre 120cm tank.

The other cichlid occupants would be 2 keyhole cichlids. The rest would be 7 harlequin rasbora, 5 corydoras, 1 bristlenose Pleco, 6 prestella tetra and 6 cherry barbs?

Any advice would be much appreciated. :D

Dom
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

Not me, I have recently seen electric blue nano Acara in my lfs, they are very colourful, I did once have a pair of electric blue jack Dempsey's in my community tank and to my relief they were very sociable.
Last edited by Pleco Fan on Fri Feb 21, 2020 20:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

I have redbreast acara (Laetacara dorsigera).
I have them in with Cupid cichlids (Biotodoma cupido), corydoras and tetra.
As long as your water is not hard and the temperature is around 23/24C and they should be OK with the other fish you mention.
They are a very peaceful cichlid. They may have a nibble at some live plants but nothing to worry about.
A good community fish.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)