How many Convict fry!!

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Scott.turner28
Been liked: 14 times

Apparently a max of 300 eggs? There are way more here surely... ::thumb::
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Now that you have a pic you can count the eggs for an exact number ROFL :D
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

200-400 according to cichlidae.com

The number of eggs is determined by the size of the female. An extra large female could lay even more...
Scott.turner28

Oh isit, thats good then.. haha who wants to have a count for real!
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

How many hatch and survive out of those numbers?
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 19:33 pm How many hatch and survive out of those numbers?
Depends how many were fertilised...

In a stable population, out of all the eggs a pair lays in its lifetime, on average two fry survive to eventually breed themselves. Just enough to replace that pair. The rest are food, for various things at various stages.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

black ghost wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 19:45 pm
PaulVerrall wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 19:33 pm How many hatch and survive out of those numbers?
Depends how many were fertilised...

In a stable population, out of all the eggs a pair lays in its lifetime, on average two fry survive to eventually breed themselves. Just enough to replace that pair. The rest are food, for various things at various stages.
Blimey, how harsh is mother nature!? At least they get a couple I guess, My poor parrots go through digging a nest, laying eggs every couple months, then the pair guard them etc without realising the males fire blanks
Scott.turner28

But what if i take the fry out after 10 days or so before next eggs are laid, then grow them for a while, to sell, surely then more will survive? In peoples tanks.. And i thought if eggs white they unfertilised, but if they a brownish colour they have been fertilised? Im not great with breeding to be honest, i know alot about species and what they need to live, who they can and cant live with whats best condition wise etc, but not much about breeding fish.. so all help welcome.. and how come male parrots fire blanks? How are more bred then lol i know they hybrid, and its 2 species combined, but why cant the parrot have fry themselves? Be too deformed?
Scott.turner28

Theres male and female for size comparison
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Scott.turner28 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 19:54 pm But what if i take the fry out after 10 days or so before next eggs are laid, then grow them for a while, to sell, surely then more will survive? In peoples tanks.. And i thought if eggs white they unfertilised, but if they a brownish colour they have been fertilised? Im not great with breeding to be honest, i know alot about species and what they need to live, who they can and cant live with whats best condition wise etc, but not much about breeding fish.. so all help welcome.. and how come male parrots fire blanks? How are more bred then lol i know they hybrid, and its 2 species combined, but why cant the parrot have fry themselves? Be too deformed?
I think due to being hybrids it's made the males infertile.
I believe the breeders, mainly in Thailand use female parrots with red heads, Midas or vieja. I think convicts and severum can breed with parrots as well but not too sure.
I've heard of hormone injections to the males to increase fertility, but again unsubstantiated