apistogramma abacaxis

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

I've been offered some apistogramma abacaxis but can't find all that much information about them and after my experience with the Kribensis I'm always a little dubious about what I read online so I was hoping that I could find someone who has any experience with them.

Also, I understand that they are fairly rare but does £60 sound about right for a pair?
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 695 times
Been liked: 1679 times

Apisto's aren't the nutters that Kribs are, but they are cichlids still so may do a bit of chasing. I've always kept Apisto's in community tanks with no problem and the only chasing I have seen it when they are protecting a spawn.

I'm not sure on this particular species but £60 sounds a lot for Apisto's! The other question to ask is if they are wild, they tend to be quite fussy with water parameters. Need very soft water.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Apistogramma abacaxis where only discovered in 1999 Lago Glemende, Brazil. Don't think many are imported hence prices.

£60 is a little high, £45-50 for a pair sounds fairer to me. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Tycho wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:54 pm I've been offered some apistogramma abacaxis but can't find all that much information about them and after my experience with the Kribensis I'm always a little dubious about what I read online so I was hoping that I could find someone who has any experience with them.

Also, I understand that they are fairly rare but does £60 sound about right for a pair?
The apistogramma abacaxis or apistogramma wilhelmi is not a true scientific name.
I believe it was originally found near the Rio Abacaxis (hence the nickname) in Brazil.
The Rio Abacaxis (more of a lake than a river) is a tributary of the Paraná do Ramos which is a tributary of the Rio Madeira.
I believe the apisto is closely related to the Apistogramma agassizii.

£60 for a pair of unknown apisto cichlids sounds a lot.
I would go with a better know apisto such as the mentioned Apistogramma agassizii (see Seriously Fish here)

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)