Blue Rams - the lowdown

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 310 times

Will probably need to let things run their course now before trying the blues,haven't really been able to find a good home for these 3, which is a shame because one Bolivian tries to dominate over the other (not sure if they're both male) and the Keyhole looks a bit lost, until feeding time, them starts chasing the rams. Bit of an awkward mishmash I've got going on.

Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

Sixo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 15:47 pm Will probably need to let things run their course now before trying the blues,haven't really been able to find a good home for these 3, which is a shame because one Bolivian tries to dominate over the other (not sure if they're both male) and the Keyhole looks a bit lost, until feeding time, them starts chasing the rams. Bit of an awkward mishmash I've got going on.

I absolutely adore my Bolivian rams , yours look so lovely in those photos! I’m not sure why you want to get rid of them as it looks like nice set up to me 😊
I have single angelfish and they occasionally bicker over food with Bolivians but other than that all cichlids get one just fine for now ( despite the disaster with first female 🙈)
Sixo
Posting Legend

I think it's just the whole thing people say they're happier either as a pair or in a group, and doesn't seem like I have either of those scenarios (which was my thought for maybe trying the blue rams as they're much easier to sex) looks like they'll be staying with me at this rate anyway. My wife is really fond of the Keyhole but I do feel a bit sorry for it being on it's own.

I don't have a very big footprint in my tank but there is plenty of sight breaks and hideaway spots thankfully.
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

Blue rams are harder to sex than Bolivians.
Sixo
Posting Legend

codheadjohn wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 0:01 am Blue rams are harder to sex than Bolivians.
In my experience the pairing up is more obvious with the Blues, the Bolivians seem to be more complex characters.

Will stick with them anyway sure there's enough room for them to keep out each other's way.
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

Sixo wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:11 am
codheadjohn wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 0:01 am Blue rams are harder to sex than Bolivians.
In my experience the pairing up is more obvious with the Blues, the Bolivians seem to be more complex characters.

Will stick with them anyway sure there's enough room for them to keep out each other's way.
It's pretty obvious with Bolivians too if you have a pair, but yours might not like each other.

But in terms of their gender, the bottom picture is certainly male at the front and female further back.
Sixo
Posting Legend

Ones a bit older an the hence the size difference but hopefully they'll do alright in time.
Sixo
Posting Legend

Andys temperate tank wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 17:07 pm I don't know much about them apart from they are lovely.

I've got one in Angel's delight, my heaters are set to 25C and she seems happy. I also have one in cube 1 and it's been fine since I got her as well.
Is yours still going strong Andy?
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4375 times
Been liked: 2888 times

Sixo wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 13:09 pm
Andys temperate tank wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 17:07 pm I don't know much about them apart from they are lovely.

I've got one in Angel's delight, my heaters are set to 25C and she seems happy. I also have one in cube 1 and it's been fine since I got her as well.
Is yours still going strong Andy?
Up to now mate yes.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 7 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 2 SAE.
Sixo
Posting Legend

I don't think they're the best of friends but the last 2 Bolivians do seem to coexist at least, smaller one hangs around bigger one, bigger one chases smaller one and so on.

@codheadjohn these two have recently started butting heads a wee bit could they be testing each other out for pairing up or is it more likely they still just don't like each other?