Male Betta in with other fish???

Betta's, Gouramis etc
Scorps1212
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 299 times

Hey

So just trying to plan what fish I will be keeping in my tank. So it's a 300 litre tank (4ft) that will be moderately planted (see my tank log). I plan to keep a small shoal of rummeynoses, cardinals, ember tetras, harlequins, 2 angels, 2 appistagrammas, a buck load of ammano, ottos and a couple of plec.

Will a male betta be ok to keep in this tank too?
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3889 times

Scorps1212 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 21:52 pm So just trying to plan what fish I will be keeping in my tank. 2 angels, 2 appistagrammas, a buck load of ammano
Good luck with the Amano Shrimp, that would be an expensive dinner for the Angels and Apistos. Trust me I know I found out the hard way.

Personally I'd not something I would ever try to mix Angelfish with a male Betta, a female maybe with caution. I've never tried the mix of Apistogrammas with Angelfish but I dread to think what the male Apisto would do to Siamese fighting fish and vice versa, let alone the female Apisto would think. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Scorps1212
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 22:10 pm
Scorps1212 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 21:52 pm So just trying to plan what fish I will be keeping in my tank. 2 angels, 2 appistagrammas, a buck load of ammano
Good luck with the Amano Shrimp, that would be an expensive dinner for the Angels and Apistos. Trust me I know I found out the hard way.

Personally I'd not something I would ever try to mix Angelfish with a male Betta, a female maybe with caution. I've never tried the mix of Apistogrammas with Angelfish but I dread to think what the male Apisto would do to Siamese fighting fish and vice versa, let alone the female Apisto would think. :grin:
I know the ammano are going to be fine with the angels as I have 5 ammano in a 60 litre tank with 2 angels now and there is no issues in the tank and all 5 are still there unharmed.

As for the male betta and appistagramma, I would rather have a pair of appistagramma in the tank than a Male betta so I wont put a betta in there.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3889 times

Scorps1212 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 22:45 pm

I know the ammano are going to be fine with the angels as I have 5 ammano in a 60 litre tank with 2 angels now and there is no issues in the tank and all 5 are still there unharmed.

As for the male betta and appistagramma, I would rather have a pair of appistagramma in the tank than a Male betta so I wont put a betta in there.
Two Angelfish in a 60 litre aquarium. They are obviously not adults then, beleave me when they get to near adult size (in most aquariums that's 6-8 inch in depth, in the wild they get bigger) and I've had numerous Angelfish over the years they will attack and kill your Amano Shrimps. They are opportunists and have a strong prey drive, so if its small, it moves, then it gets attacked and more often than not, gets eaten!

These two were the last pair I kept, apart from becoming a breeding nuisance in the end, the female above, would ruthlessly hunt out any size Shrimp or small fish.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Agreed, I'd be very loathe to recommend a betta with cichlids, although it may work in an even bigger tank - I've seen a betta with discus before in a 5' tank.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

I recently asked a tropical fish shop whether I could keep any type of Cichlid in with a Betta and this was the response....

I do keep a nice selection of cichlids in stock, however most are not suitable to live with a betta especially Malawi’s/peacock’s as these are very aggressive indeed.
You could maybe look at some dwarf cichlids as these are far more communal with other fishes. Apistogrammas or rams would be a better bet, but you would need to watch them with your betta closely to make sure there is no fin nipping going on from either side.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

And that is a shop worth visiting!
Scorps1212
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Ok thanks for your input guys. I would prefer a pair of appistagramma instead of a male betta so I won't take the chance and I wont buy a betta 👍
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

fr499y wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 13:07 pm And that is a shop worth visiting!
True that! Nice to see some good advice from one :)
BIGFISH
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 58 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 am
Scorps1212 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 22:45 pm

Two Angelfish in a 60 litre aquarium. They are obviously not adults then, beleave me when they get to near adult size (in most aquariums that's 6-8 inch in depth, in the wild they get bigger) and I've had numerous Angelfish over the years they will attack and kill your Amano Shrimps. They are opportunists and have a strong prey drive, so if its small, it moves, then it gets attacked and more often than not, gets eaten!

These two were the last pair I kept, apart from becoming a breeding nuisance in the end, the female above, would ruthlessly hunt out any size Shrimp or small fish.
In my experience Angels will scoff anything they can get in their mouths and when full grown will scoff anything that won't fit in their mouths. Angels just love live food!!!