Congo Tetras - too many boys...?

Tetras, Hatchetfish, Pencilfish, Other Characin Fish (Silver Dollar, Headstander, Leporinus)
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

Hi all, some weeks before lockdown I added some Congo tetras to the tank.

Now they have fully coloured up it seems that I have 1 female and 4 males. At least two of the males are going bananas and belting round the tank chasing each other and have wound up just about everything in there. Lots of flaring fins... I have just done a water change so that may have triggered something?

The fish that aren't darting about have fled to the bottom of the tank. It does seem to be settling down now...

With my stocking levels, I'm not sure if I have the capacity to add more females, which I assume would be the best approach to balancing it out?

I have about 15 harlequin rasboros (I can't count them, they're too quick), 10 black Ruby barbs, 4 neon rosy barbs and possibly 6 Corys. I hardly ever see the Corys so in all honesty I have no idea how they are doing or if they are actually all still alive.

Tank is around 190ltr, 24" deep and 32" length. Filter is external Eheim canister.

Given the above do I have the ability to add some females? If I am able to get any, that is - none of the LFS locally are selling livestock as far as I know...

Cheers
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

I have 10 males and no females. Mine do the exact same behaviour and zip around in pairs occasionally and ofte after water changes. Think it's a dominance display/ competition. Your tank seems very small/ short for congos. Some of mine are 5 inches long and zip over 6ft at a time in my tank. I'd be looking at getting at least a 4ft, if not bigger tank rather than more congos personally. I wouldn't like to see mine in any less than a 5 ft now they're fully grown. I'm assuming yours are a it smaller/ younger?
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Hi, I reckon they are youngish then, they are certainly nowhere near the size you described yours as being.

Sadly no chance of upgrading to a longer tank, much as I would love to do so. Don't have the space or unfortunately the money. :(.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3422 times

I'd be loathe to add more congos because of the tank size.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I assume this is the behaviour you're seeing?

Here's a photo for scale. The sterbai is full grown/ 2 inches. As Plankton said, more congos is a bad idea.

Baldwin
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 115 times

I have the same number (same sex ratio too) as you and as far as I am aware it makes no difference to behaviour. You can have as many or as few males and females as you wish – providing you have space. Their behaviour can be a pain in the arse (they remind me of puppies) but it is nothing to worry about, mine do exactly the same thing. But deffo don't get any more. Mine are young (fins and colours not yet fully formed) and already quite big. My tank is 4 1/2 FT and I think I am going to right on the edge when they are fully grown.
268L:

100L: 14 x Rummy Nose Tetra; 14 x Ember Tetra; 6 x Sterbai Cory;

60L:
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Baldwin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:25 am I have the same number (same sex ratio too) as you and as far as I am aware it makes no difference to behaviour. You can have as many or as few males and females as you wish – providing you have space. Their behaviour can be a pain in the arse (they remind me of puppies) but it is nothing to worry about, mine do exactly the same thing. But deffo don't get any more. Mine are young (fins and colours not yet fully formed) and already quite big. My tank is 4 1/2 FT and I think I am going to right on the edge when they are fully grown.
What's your water like? Hard/ soft/ PH, etc? I see you have the dwarf neon rainbows with them too. I've been tempted by rainbows for a while and wonder how they'd get one. Tempted to replace my cardinals with them.
Baldwin
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 115 times

Si4geckos wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:09 pm
Baldwin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:25 am I have the same number (same sex ratio too) as you and as far as I am aware it makes no difference to behaviour. You can have as many or as few males and females as you wish – providing you have space. Their behaviour can be a pain in the arse (they remind me of puppies) but it is nothing to worry about, mine do exactly the same thing. But deffo don't get any more. Mine are young (fins and colours not yet fully formed) and already quite big. My tank is 4 1/2 FT and I think I am going to right on the edge when they are fully grown.
What's your water like? Hard/ soft/ PH, etc? I see you have the dwarf neon rainbows with them too. I've been tempted by rainbows for a while and wonder how they'd get one. Tempted to replace my cardinals with them.
PH: 7.6
dGH: 17

The Neons are great! They were quarantined with the Congos so they all get on like a house on fire. I added them to a bunch of Embers (good) and a Betta (not so good – was fine at first, but it was all a bit raucous so he has since been removed) and everything is grand. But, ironically, I have had a few problems with Neon aggression due to ratios. I ordered 4 males and 4 females as recommended and I received 7 males(!), which was a nuisance. They drove each-other mad for the first few days, but they seem to have calmed down now. I may add some girls (but would want at least 7) at some point...
If you buy them, make sure you buy them from a store rather than online so you can choose sexes. Good luck!
268L:

100L: 14 x Rummy Nose Tetra; 14 x Ember Tetra; 6 x Sterbai Cory;

60L:
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

@Si4geckos yes,that's what they were doing. All calm today though.

@Baldwin thanks for your post. I wasn't sure if a single female would be picked on. To fair they weren't really pestering her, more just squabbling between themselves.

So I'm wondering now if I ought to try and rehome the ones I have or leave them be. There is no way at all I can upgrade to a larger tank, not for at least a year or two and even then space would be an issue.