Purple emperor...what are my chances?

Tetras, Hatchetfish, Pencilfish, Other Characin Fish (Silver Dollar, Headstander, Leporinus)
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 1823 times

plankton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:02 am Some of my males and females have got to around 3", so they aren't really right for a 2' tank, they need a bit more space really.
Having said that, mine are at the moment (until I can catch and offload a load of BNs from the Trigon) in a 2' tank. It was supposed to be short-term when I had my last balancing session, but they've bred and I've gone from 6 (most of which have died of old age) to around 30......There's only 6 corys and a small (3") BN with them and it is over-filtered.
So that’s a “do as I say, not do as I do” then? 🤣. I’m still loving the look of them but i’m trying to be responsible and may go for a bigger school of black neon tetra instead. They’re growing on me the more I investigate them. Possibly a school of them plus a school of espei Rasbora or other small, colourful fish. I’m tempted by an Apistogramma but it’s too hard losing a centrepiece fish as I get so attached to them.
But if i’m fish shopping and they have emperors, I can’t promise anything 🤫
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

plankton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:02 am Some of my males and females have got to around 3", so they aren't really right for a 2' tank, they need a bit more space really.
Having said that, mine are at the moment (until I can catch and offload a load of BNs from the Trigon) in a 2' tank. It was supposed to be short-term when I had my last balancing session, but they've bred and I've gone from 6 (most of which have died of old age) to around 30......There's only 6 corys and a small (3") BN with them and it is over-filtered.
Which species is it you have @plankton ? I hadn’t realised that the purple one (Inpaichthys kerri) is totally separate from the standard Emperor tetra (Nematobrycon palmeri or lacortei). It apparently only reaches around 4cm so definitely more of an option if I can source some?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

I've got n.palmeri which are purple - the blue ones are what happens when they get too in-bred, but they appear to have got a new name now.
Now then - the i.kerri is what was the royal tetra as far as I can make out. Why do they rename so many fish just to make a sale?
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I’ll blame America for the renaming. I should have stuck to the Latin to start with! At least I know what to look for in the store (handy adipose fin).
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Yes, the royals have the adipose, the palmeri don't. ;)