Minimum tank length question

Tetras, Hatchetfish, Pencilfish, Other Characin Fish (Silver Dollar, Headstander, Leporinus)
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

Evening all

Question: in the opinion of bods here, what would be the minimum tank length for Congo tetras?

I know I may get different opinions but wondering if I can pick out a consensus.

Ta!
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 1824 times

I always look at Seriously Fish for a good starting point. It says 120cm which i’d go with. I didn’t really think about them for my 240L but it’s nice to know they might be a future option as they are pretty stunning.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Triumph-Rat
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 174 times

How many do you want?

This may be the starting point for the correct answer ::thumb::
Everything I say and do are the result of multiple personalities. If it is offensive then it wasn't me!!
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Triumph-Rat wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 22:23 pm How many do you want?

This may be the starting point for the correct answer ::thumb::
LOL problem is I've already got 5. On purchasing, the shop assured me that the tank I have is fine. Very stupidly I did not do my own research.... Litre wise it's OK (185) but it is not long enough for decent swimming space for them, and they are now getting on for a couple of inches each in length.

@VikingMummy2015 They're lovely and they have quite a lot of character!! 😁 I really don't want to rehome mine which is mostly why I'm looking to go to a larger tank...

Pants. 120 cm rules out the tank I saw today then...
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

If your tank is over 3 foot in length then you should be fine, a 4 foot tank would be better and anything bigger would be even better.
Male Congo tetra grow to just over 3 inches, females are smaller (about 2.5 inches) and are quite an active species.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

@Stephen Ooooh.... Thanks. Food for thought! Tank I saw today was 100cm L x 49 cm W x (I think) 50cm H. Not 100% on the height but the other two are right. So that's a bit over the 3ft mark I think? And I think they said either 230 or 240 litres.

Was almost definitely going for the Eheim vivaline 240, but have found that no way to use anything other than their LED lights - I want to keep the Aquasky. It definitely won't fit, tried in the shop today. The other one I'd seen, the AquaOne Urban is too going to be too deep for me to reach the bottom (same issue as now).

So now considering a Fusion 100. Definitely fits an Aquasky. Looks like very high quality. Can't find an enormous amount online though.

Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

The Aquatlantis Fusion 100 aquarium is 102x40x60cm (102cm long, 40cm depth, 60cm height) so about 3'3"
A 4 foot tank (or bigger) would be more ideal for Congo tetra but you could choose something else such as Black Widow Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi) which is one of my favourite tetra or Diamond Tetra (Moenkhausia pittieri) which is very nice too.

Black Widow Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)

Diamond Tetra (Moenkhausia pittieri)

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)