Rainbow shark?

Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Sharks, Golfish, Koi.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Just putting this out there because I've seen an ad on preloved where someone is giving a rainbow shark away.

Does anyone have any experience of them in community tank with endlers, bristlenose pleco, corys and shrimps (cherries and amanos)? Now that I don't have my various algae eaters (Siamese & Netted) anymore, I am wondering whether I could offer to take him in...

My main concern are the other bottom dwellers, i.e. the corys and the b/n plec and I wonder whether they would fight over hiding spaces, even though there are a few. On the other hand, none of them are of a similar shape, which I understand would be risk factor.

So, just asking about people's experience of this fish :)
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

They do like to take over the tank if they can and need a 4' tank just for their territory.
i'd be wary of keeping them with slower fish, and any fish that has red or black on it, or is a similar shape (doesn't matter about the size, it's shape and colour that cause the problems).
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Thanks @plankton .

I won't risk it with my corys and some of the endlers, which have red in them - and all those neons and cherry shrimp. I'd heard they are 'less aggressive' than the red tailed sharks, that's why I was pondering whether it would be a suitable addition. :)
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

You're right, they aren't as aggressive as the RTBS, but they do retain their territorial attitude. ;)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

I found that adults are very good at keeping Convict Cichlids in check, Convicts would keep out the way of the Rainbow.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:53 pm I found that adults are very good at keeping Convict Cichlids in check, Convicts would keep out the way of the Rainbow.
In which case, I'll stay away from them. Nothing in my tank is anywhere near cichlid feisty-ness :O
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Ric wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 13:12 pm
Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:53 pm I found that adults are very good at keeping Convict Cichlids in check, Convicts would keep out the way of the Rainbow.
In which case, I'll stay away from them. Nothing in my tank is anywhere near cichlid feisty-ness :O
Even I was surprised at the time, I seriously expected to find a damaged Rainbow Shark by morning .....but nope, Convicts keeping their distance, quite funny to see at the time! :grin:

Disclaimer: No Convict Cichlids where harmed during the short period the Epalzeorhynchos frenatum was housed with them. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: