Help!! What is this!? Unexpected guest...

Loaches
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

Definitely yo-yo. I see them that small in my local P@H. I've also seen full grown ones in a friend's tank and was shocked, they are massive!
mantis
Has liked: 691 times
Been liked: 252 times

It's so cute, are you keeping it?
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

@mantis No, sadly not, I don't have anywhere near the space that a group would need and they can't be kept individually.

To have enough space to swim and thrive they need something like a 5 ft tank, or so I've read. Even if I upgrade to the Eheim 240 it's not long enough.

It is very pretty though especially now it's not scared to death! I will have to try and catch it tomorrow and take it back to P@H.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

Seriouslyfish says they need a 120cm x 45cm if they were something you'd of wanted in a eheim 240
Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

If I remember correctly, although the average size is 6", some females can potentially get to 8". They also live for getting on for 40 years, like their cousins the clowns.
I do like loaches (I think I still have some zebras in the Trigon, but I never see them), but they shouldn't really be kept on their own, they really like big groups - probably just as gregarious as corys. :D
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

@WinterRose73 ."I'll try and take it back tomorrow but would I need to get a bag". I have freezer bags should I wish to transport fish, and indeed aquarium plants. The bags are strong, transparent, and of course water-proof.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

@plankton I'd seen mentions of the size and that they need to be in a group.

@Jon_D If I had any freezer or other food safe bags I would use thrm, but I don't unfortunately. The only bags I have are nappy sacks which I use when doing the litter trays and they are perfumed/deffo not fish safe.

As the diamonds are incredibly skittish the loach will have to wait a few days. I don't want to be poking about with a net in there for a little while.

Going to P@H later to grab some more planted wood - hopefully minus any hitchhikers - so will have a chat with them. Or perhaps I'll get another free loach and can build the collection that way! 😜
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

WinterRose73 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:33 am @plankton I'd seen mentions of the size and that they need to be in a group.

@Jon_D If I had any freezer or other food safe bags I would use thrm, but I don't unfortunately. The only bags I have are nappy sacks which I use when doing the litter trays and they are perfumed/deffo not fish safe.

As the diamonds are incredibly skittish the loach will have to wait a few days. I don't want to be poking about with a net in there for a little while.

Going to P@H later to grab some more planted wood - hopefully minus any hitchhikers - so will have a chat with them. Or perhaps I'll get another free loach and can build the collection that way! 😜
Get a free return bag for the loach :D