Swordtail

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
Brian1992f
Been liked: 1 time

Hi guys can use tell me what the orange patch is on this girl is ? The male dosent have it. Many thanks in advance. Image
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Its either her colouring, internal organs or maybe even fry. When swordtails and other livebearers get pregnant or gravid the eggs can be seen, depending on the fish’s colour the patch shows can be dark brown/black or light. The gravid spot is just before the anal fin.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Brian1992f

Gingerlove05 wrote: Its either her colouring, internal organs or maybe even fry. When swordtails and other livebearers get pregnant or gravid the eggs can be seen, depending on the fish’s colour the patch shows can be dark brown/black or light. The gravid spot is just before the anal fin.
Well I was thinking baby's but I didn't want to sound like a tube. Because the male dosent have that and when you look close ( I can't get a good pic ) but it looks like little orange balls ...
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Gravid/pregnant :D
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Brian1992f

Gingerlove05 wrote: Gravid/pregnant :D
Awwww fantastic ???   I have lots and lots of guppy grass in the tank so fingers crossed the baby's go hide :)
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Yeah they will hide, the parents might prey on some of them, but you might end up with some survivors, and she will likely keep giving birth for some time (they can produce up to 8 batches of fry from one insemination). So you will likely end up with some extras :D
Brian1992f

Thank you for your help and Info it's appreciated
Last edited by Brian1992f on Sun Sep 29, 2019 14:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.