Threadfin Rainbow fish, Peacock Goby?

Sarah
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 237 times

F3l1ss wrote: Hey, I've got threadfins. 

My first batch didn't survive too well, only had one large female that survived any length of time but I guess I've had her a couple of years now? This year I got her some companions and had only one of those pass. I wormed them immediately and I think that helped. 

I've got hard water and they seem to be doing ok with it so far. They're in a 60L with one much larger recovering rainbow (was being starved out by bigger guys in the big tank) and also a little skitty about him they're pretty bold about coming out and saying hi and swimming about for food. They are still a gentler fish though and wouldn't do well with nippers or frisky mid to top tier fish.

My ratio is all 'wrong' as well as I have 1 female to 3 males, but to be honest as the female is the biggest of the lot it seems to be ok for now. I may get more when we move house and I get a bigger tank for them.

I feed them a range of foods, small pellets, repashy dust, frozen daphnia, and crushed up foods from my bigger rainbow tanl. The variety is what they need to thrive. I have fed live foods in the past but my supplier gave me a couple of poor batches so have stopped for now.

I love them, they're fascinating to watch and so beautiful. I look forward to being able to have a bigger batch of them as I think could then watch them all day :)

Anything else you want to know?
Thanks so much for your info. It's always so much better when someone actually has a little experience of them.I have literally just come from the local Maidenheads. They had threadfins in but I wasn't really happy with them.
Bear in mind that it's a Saturday afternoon probably a pretty busy time in the shops ...all of the tanks were full of green water so you couldn't really see the fish clearly! Turns out they had just treated all the tanks with an antibiotic! (Can't be a good sign in the middle of a Saturday afternoon!)Plus whilst we were there they put food into all of the tanks...all the fish were going ballistic grabbing at the food...... except the tank with the threadfins not one single bit of interest, I decided against them better luck another day.
F3l1ss
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 323 times

Yeah best to start of with as strong as fish as possible. I don't think they're the strongest and no point setting yourself up to fail.

Stephen - yes, we've had an offer accepted on a house! Just starting the process :)  hello new tank on the horizon!!
Sarah
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 237 times

Found some today  :)
Asked for 8 and  to possibly try for three males.
Got home.. there's 9   :P  not really sure on sexes! My first thought is four males but the more I look the more they all look like males :huh:
Anyone any idea off these couple of photo's?

Will post on my tank log once they are properly in.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

Good luck with the Threadfins.

This is a typical male:

The females are smaller and less colourful than males.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)