Leaning/sitting and hiding honey gourami

wildcherry
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 14 times

Hi all,

Hope everyone's keeping safe and well during these strange times.

I'm looking for some opinions on our honey gourami. We got him (we assume!) him 5 months ago, he's usually a sociable and confident wee thing, always out and about with his tankmates (cardinal tetras, diamond tetras, cherry barbs and a bristlenose).

The past few days he's been very lethargic and hiding deep in the plants or on the bottom. I say hiding, but often he's definitely leaning his weight on the leaf/sand which I've never seen him do before. Seeing him doing that at a weird angle I've actually thought he was dead a couple of times. He comes out to eat and for the occasional nosy around, but 90% of the time we don't see him, he's 'sitting down' in his hiding spots.

He's eating and going to the toilet fine, no physical changes (other than a subtle 'hump' he seems to have developed between his head and body over the past month or so which I assume is just him growing? Not a lump or anything, just a very subtle boesemani rainbow type profile). His colour is a little dull.

Any ideas on what's wrong with him? My only thought is he might have been freaked out by an airstone I put in the other day (since removed) or has had an accidental scuffle with the cherry barbs, but it's the weird leaning that's a worry.

Water test yesterday showed 'normal' for my tank:

Temp: 25.1C
KH: 0-3
GH: 4-7
pH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 10

Thanks guys,

Cherry
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

I have no idea off the top of my head, is it possibly a swim bladder issue with the tilting? You can try feeding them a blanched deshelled pea, feed the mushy flesh inside the shell.
Any pics of him?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

It can be old age or swim bladder or an intestinal problem from the sounds of it.
The crushed pea idea is a good start.
Pics would/may help.
wildcherry

Thanks both, I'll try and get a pic of him today.

Will try the trusty pea tonight and let you know how he's getting on.

Cherry
wildcherry

Hi again,

He's doing worse today and hasn't been up off the bottom much, other that to move one place to another, not looking good :(

Fed them peas tonight but he wasn't interested in food (they've been eating baby brine shrimp and Repashy past few weeks.)

Did a 25% water change today, removed the Phorax from the filter in the off change that's been bothering him.

He's in a breeding box now, as close to the water surface as I can get him. Any last chance advice? :(

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

He’s not looking too clever, also never a good sign if they dont come up for food :(
I dont know what else to suggest unfortunately :(
wildcherry

You're right Gingerlove05. Appreciate you checking in, thank you. Helps just being able to speak to more experience fishkeepers.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

He looks more like a skinny she, maybe there's an internal parasite growing - I would think that if it were a she.
Interpet Internal Parasite stuff, Waterlife Sterazin or even Kusuri wormer may help. Remember to half dose.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Dare I ask how your fish is doing? :(
wildcherry

Thanks for the advice plankton, and for asking Ric.

Wormed the whole tank (Wormer Plus) 24 hours ago now - he's still with us, but still lying on his side most of the time. She I should say...!

Worth trying anything else, or just wait and see (and cross fingers very tightly)?

Thanks again everyone,

Cherry