Miracle Metafix?

Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

7 days ago after spending 4 weeks in the QT I transferred a number of fish into the CT. Included among these was a female Swordtail. Three days later she distinctly showed that she wasn’t at all well; refusing food, losing her red colour to almost light orange, and almost lying still on the bottom of the CT. An examination showed no spots or anything unusual on her body. I feared the worst and was concerned that whatever she had would have been passed onto the other fish. However all the remaining inhabitants were hale and hearty. As Sod’s Law would have it I unusually had no Melafix in stock so immediately ordered it. It arrived on the second day of her illness and I immediately applied it to the tank. Within 24 hours of me dosing the tank, she was out and about and behaving like a teenage hooligan with her shoal-mates.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

Hi Jon

Isn't your water fairly soft?
I'm trying to rattle my brain as to where you live, I know it's the Teesdale area, is it Barnard Castle ?
I know that the water in Barnard Castle is fairly soft at 4dGH which is too soft for Swordtail fish as they need hard water (10dGH+).
Maybe I'm mixing you up with another forum member.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Jon_D
Posting Legend

@Stephen Yep! It's Barnard Castle of notorious fame! The water is indeed soft, and many thanks for the hint about the hard water for swordtails, another bit of knowledge for me. I have a spare tank and already have a bag of crushed coral to harden the water. As soon as I check its quality is suitable, I'll transfer the swordtails.
Jon_D
Posting Legend

@Stephen Just tested the ph in the CT after the water change and it is 7.6ph. I suppose that is considered average. In fact it could well be greater than 7.6 as the colour is a deeper blue than the chart for that number. I am using the API Chemical set.
Just checked the female Swordtail, and unfortunately she is hiding in the moss and not looking too well. :sick:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

Hi Jon

It could be the soft water that's the issue.
Certain fish such as Swordtails, Platy, Molly etc.. all need hard water.
I posted a thread "Hard water, Soft water and fish" which hopefully explains why certain fish need hard water (or soft water). It's basically about balancing the internal fluids with that of the surrounding water, fish use osmosis to regulate their bodies and water is taken in through their gills and skin. If their environment (water in the aquarium) is not correct then the fish will suffer through a lack (or too much ie soft water species) minerals in the water. This then leads to organ failure especially kidney failure and eventually death.
Jon_D wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 14:37 pm I have a spare tank and already have a bag of crushed coral to harden the water. As soon as I check its quality is suitable, I'll transfer the swordtails.
Great idea Jon, I would aim at something around 10dGH, this will be fine for Swordtails.

All the best
Last edited by Stephen on Wed Mar 31, 2021 15:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)