Is this whitespot?

Staffylover
Has liked: 1140 times
Been liked: 976 times

Is this whitespot?

Post by Staffylover »

Here is a link to video, the one shown is worst but other blue tetra have it to varying degrees

https://youtu.be/OW0eSJl0UxU

Luckily they are in QT tank main tanks have escaped so far fingers crossed,
It is not responding to treatment,
All fish added same day from same shop, 5x blue tetra, 5x Celebes rainbows 1x female Betta, 1x small clown pleco
On day 5 or 6 pleco showed signs, started treatment with esha exit I had, but realising it was out of date ordered a new one so after the 3 days treatment finished on day 4 after 50% water change started with new bottle plus esha 2000 fish did not respond and died on day 6, day 7 I was quite ill and only checked they were all swimming, day 8 most if not all blue tetra showing signs, started round 3 of treatment with Exit but NT labs whitespot and fungus treatment has arrived today (day 9) so plan on 50% water change then starting with this as exit has had no affect at all which leads me to think is it something else??
400l 6ft Asia River Theme - (Scissortails, Tiger Barbs, SAE, Hovering zebra and dwarf chain loach, silver hatchet imposters)
300l 4ft Dagoba theme tank - (phantom tetra, african banded barb, synodontis petricola, gold laser and schwartzi cory)

keithmart
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Is this whitespot?

Post by keithmart »

Hi
It certainly looks like whitespot. Try upping the temperature to 27C to cure whitespotfor a week. That speeds up the cycle and allows the fish to get over it quicker. Keep up the treatment as well.

In my day we used Mercurochrome, which turned the water a dark blue.
Regards

Keith
Leeds UK

Remember you are unique .......Just like everyone else

BigBen
Posting Legend
Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 719 times

Post by BigBen »

Looks like white spot. Years ago when I started out I always used waterlife protozin which was very good. Ditto the points about turning the temp up. Have you tested your water? White spot often goes hand in hand with ammonia/nitrites and where you've added a few fish it's possible. It's also possible they were subjected to it at the shop.
Discus, Corydoras, Loracaridinae, Dwarf Cichlids.

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2404 times
Been liked: 2436 times

Post by Martinspuddle »

Don't think so, the spots are not of uniformed size like Ichthyophthirius eggs and doesn't appear to have infected other fish on the video.

I would suggest it's Lymphocystis.
Arrivals information: --- Aqua Oak Aquarium --- Delays :[

...pesky carpet fitters are not coming till the 17th of May now. :mad:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:

DoubleDutch
Posting Legend
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by DoubleDutch »

I doubt it is Ich but Lymphocystis shows as a caulyflowerlike tumour.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 3128 times
Been liked: 2472 times

Post by plankton »

Unless it is a really bad case of ich as I have seen fish in a certain shop that looked liked that with ich. ;)

PaulVerrall
Posting Legend
Has liked: 457 times
Been liked: 796 times

Post by PaulVerrall »

Could it be epistylis?
"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water, Shark's in the water. Our shark." "Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies..."

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 453 times

Post by black ghost »

Yeah it’s not Whitespot. Epistylis and lymphocystis would both be contenders for me, although lymphocystis doesn’t affect swimming behaviour like this...

Not sure what to suggest to treat with as I only use Waterlife so I’m not sure off hand what exactly you have treated with.

With a lot of diseases you need to get rid of the cause of the stress that caused the disease or treatments often don’t work too well. My guess would be a water issue maybe.

Staffylover
Has liked: 1140 times
Been liked: 976 times

Post by Staffylover »

Thanks for your replies, after more became infected a couple were more patchy than just spots, with the rapid and severe progression consensus from FB is now Columnaris today I did an 80% water change and started treatment with Waterlife Myxazin have already lost 1 of the blue tetra, another is not far behind but it is strange the Celebes so far look ok, this is a 5 day treatment so will run it and see if any others become sick, instructions on bottle are basic it just says 5 days nothing about repeat dosing so hope this cures it, I am keeping a close eye on the main tanks but so far they have escaped fingers crossed.
400l 6ft Asia River Theme - (Scissortails, Tiger Barbs, SAE, Hovering zebra and dwarf chain loach, silver hatchet imposters)
300l 4ft Dagoba theme tank - (phantom tetra, african banded barb, synodontis petricola, gold laser and schwartzi cory)

PaulVerrall
Posting Legend
Has liked: 457 times
Been liked: 796 times

Post by PaulVerrall »

Sorry for your loss, hope the meds work
"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water, Shark's in the water. Our shark." "Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies..."