Please Help Zebra Tipapia Cichlid

Cassie
Been liked: 9 times

Hi Black Ghost and thank you. I 'think' the HITH has improved, however I feel so inadequate because I just don't know for sure. What I can say is the holes don't seem so 'angry' if that makes any sense? I've tried to take a couple of pictures tonight as I'm up late but they are so bad because the glass is so scratched (my fault), but hopefully I've attached them although probably they are not helpful at all. He does appear greyer now in his appearance. He also now has the occasional mad dash around his tank, like something is biting or irritating him, and he will also shake his head, and wriggle his body, which is new. He still reacts to me as he has always done, insofar as he recognises me and interacts with me through the glass. I also forgot to say I was also advised to give him live worms, but regrettably that does not sit well with me. I did a bit more research and somewhere it reads try blanched peas/spinach, which I'll try tomorrow. Help please.

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

It’s probably not going to take new foods while it’s ill, although there’s no harm in trying.

I really don’t know what to suggest now. In Waterlife terms (they’re all I use) “if all else fails, try Cuprazin”. I don’t know if it will help though. The dashing and shaking doesn’t sound good. I’m guessing the damage is already done. I do have a suggestion, but you won’t like it.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Sorry to hear he's not getting much better, I don't like the sound of the shaking either. :(
Cassie

So taking your advise Black Ghost, I went to the fish shop to buy some Cuprazin. They know his story well now. Scanning the shelves I could not see any Cuprazin so I asked for an alternative. As there are no new lesions for hole in the head another course of Octozin was ruled out. They suggested -ndx for internal parasites, so I purchased that having explained about the shaking. They also suggested some live blood worm. I'm not altogether happy about any 'live' stuff but they reassured me it would be O.K. Well I'm not sure if it was accidental but he did eat some of those? He 'ate' a few pellets as well but spat them straight back out, but it's a bit of interest from him. I've to try the -ndx in a couple of days as the medication will kill the blood worms which are now mostly settled on the bottom of the tank and he is again disinterested. I thought I'd try another larger 'pet' shop for the Cuprazin but they didn't have any either (the one with pets in the title), but what I did notice was something called Bug bites which are insect based food for large cichlids. Do you have any thoughts on that or any other recommended type I might try. The peas and the spinach didn't work. The fish shop are also cautioning me for his age, and I do appreciate he might be getting on, but this didn't start out because of his age, it was because I messed up. They did suggest stress might be a factor. The water in my area is very hard but acceptable for fish. The parameters for his water quality are now good excepting for the hardness. He is still active and alert, and I do fully appreciate I might have 'closed ears' as to any suggestions other than to aid recuperation/recovery, because while there are still options to try I might as well explore them first and just keep on trying and hoping for the time being. Do you think the shaking could be ectoparasites because it is almost like something is irritating him, and I have seen him scratch on some of his tank decorations but I don't really know what I'm talking about and that's why I'm asking? I did have his environment wrong which I understand can cause stress, and then this in turn can lead to parasites. I absolutely do feel responsible, so if he is not giving up yet neither am I. Truly appreciate your help. Thank you.
black ghost
Posting Legend

Scratching on objects is a sign of irritation, which can be internal or external. I’m assuming it’s internal damage. I would try Cuprazin. I wouldn’t be concerned about foods right now. Believe me, if he’s hungry enough he will eat, whatever you put in. He hasn’t been hungry because of the high nitrates, and now he probably won’t be hungry till he’s cured.
Cassie

Thank you. Problem is he was eating with the high nitrates. He stopped eating after the treatments. I forgot he had three hole in the head treatments. 2 Octozin and the metrodiazole from the vets. Then the myaxin. I think I'll go with what you advise and try the Cupazin first, but I'll have to buy it off the internet. I'll touch base again in a few weeks and let you know how it's going for us. At the rate we're going we'll have covered every medication out there, and then we'll get lucky. Later.
Cassie

Update. Have now tried all of recommended fish remedies. The latest being ndx and Cuprazin. No new lesions, however he is still not eating and I'm now wondering exactly how long this can go on for. I can see he has lost weight (no longer as rounded as he was). Water margins are all fine (learnt that lesson well). He is tending to remain in one corner of his tank, and appears somewhat more animated when the lights initially go off. I've been turning them on later and off earlier to coincide with this observed behaviour. As always any insight appreciated. He's still swimming so I'm not giving up yet either.
black ghost
Posting Legend

Hi. So he’s still with us, and you must have tried every treatment option, so I literally don’t know what else to suggest except keep the water sweet (should be easy if he’s not eating).
Have you tried any live foods? Apologies for not reading back through all this, it’s a long thread.
Maybe try dropping a nice earthworm in, if you’re ok with it. They also love snails.

A break from treatments can be as good as a treatment itself...
:)
Cassie

Hi Black Ghost and thank you as always. I've tried live bloodworm and I 'think' he ate a few possibly more by accident. I've tried Shrimp (fresh from the supermarket) on and off a fishing wire. I've just tried him on salmon slice (fresh from the supermarket), all a big fat no. He did eat the shrimp however but spat it back out again. Now insofar as the live stuff I have a quandary as I've been a vegetarian for a long long time, however I'm exhausting all resources for him, so I guess I'll have to try and get my head space around that one. Any ideas as to why he is only sticking to one corner of the tank, and why a little more animated (for a short time only when the light goes off). Thanks in advance from me and him.
black ghost
Posting Legend

Cassie wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 17:28 pm Any ideas as to why he is only sticking to one corner of the tank, and why a little more animated (for a short time only when the light goes off). Thanks in advance from me and him.
Sticking to the corner probably just because he’s “not feeling well.“
He’s happier with the light off. You don’t need a light on if you’ve no plants. Daylight/room lighting is enough for fish (and preferred over bright lighting).

Re the live food quandary, I can say three things.
1. He’s not a vegetarian.
2. There’s no better food to tempt a fish to eat than something that’s alive and moving. It could be a game changer.
3. You’ve tried bloodworms. They and worms/snails are all lives. Does that not make them equal?

Edit... 4. If no.2 happened, would it be worth it?

Final edit. 5. If he doesn’t eat a worm you can take it out again, no harm done. Aquatic snails you can leave in.
6. If he does eat, he’ll then probably be willing to try other foods aswell...