Feeding Fry

Zebra Fish
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

So everyone is going to come on and say infusoria or to cultivate brine shrimp or daphnia. During the week, however, this will be difficult for me to keep on top of. Not to mention I will be very unpopular in the house if I have a jar of "rotting" greens. So I'm trying to look into what other options there are for feeding fry minnows to help them get through those crucial few weeks. So far research has offered

1) frozen brine shrimp
2) liquifry number one

Are these options any good? What other options are out there for supporting small minnow fry?
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Minnows are micro predators, eating any small live foods they find in the water column. I don't know if you would able to use frozen brine shrimp or liquifry for the first couple of weeks of newly hatched fry, the fry are super tiny. Newly hatched fry I've always used Infusoria, then Microworms or Walter worms and yes the culture can be a bit smelly because of the oatmeal, yeast mixture, but only if you have your nose right over the tub your using. You could use boiled egg yolk, dipping a cotton bud into the yolk to get a tiny amount and release it into the water, I have never used it but there is plenty of info on the web about using this. Only other opinion maybe some of the new liquid fry foods like JBL NobilFluid ultra fine liquid Artemia, I've never tried this route. The problem use to be the liquid foods were never small enough for the fry, but things are changing. These new products might work who knows. More research needed I think, where there's will, there's always a way. ;]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

The liquifry can be messy. For fry i found using ground up food adult foods (i use a pestle and mortar) or the smaller frozen foods (daphnia, rotifers) to be better.
Stevieglasgow
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 249 times
Been liked: 127 times

I bought powderd protein based fish food off ebay it worked a treat for my baby celestial pearl danios.think it cost £4
Stevie
Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

I've only ever bread platys, gubbys and krib but I Gingerlove I usually just crush some flakes although I've recently started using TetraMin Baby which is essentially powdered flakes and seem pretty good tbh
Zebra Fish

so frozen food could be an option. The ground-up adult food would be interesting as I already feed hikuri micro pellets to my current fish (a female guppy who's going back to the shop and an ancient panda cory) What do you do with the liquifry as I've not been able to find any live demos or anything!! Been driving me mad
Martinspuddle

Tycho wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 16:58 pm I've only ever bread platys, gubbys and krib but I Gingerlove I usually just crush some flakes although I've recently started using TetraMin Baby which is essentially powdered flakes and seem pretty good tbh
Unfortunately flake is just too big for these fry and you cannot use livebearer fry foods. When the fry first hatch those Tetra in Baby flakes are as big as the fry!
Stevieglasgow wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 16:10 pm I bought powderd protein based fish food off ebay it worked a treat for my baby celestial pearl danios.think it cost £4
Stevie
Have you got the ebay link for this product?
Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 15:29 pm The liquifry can be messy. For fry i found using ground up food adult foods (i use a pestle and mortar) or the smaller frozen foods (daphnia, rotifers) to be better.
I agree with you about the Liquifry food, too much and it can foul the water, but these new products might worth a look. Personally I will stick to the worm's!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Zebra Fish wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 18:26 pm so frozen food could be an option. The ground-up adult food would be interesting as I already feed hikuri micro pellets to my current fish (a female guppy who's going back to the shop and an ancient panda cory) What do you do with the liquifry as I've not been able to find any live demos or anything!! Been driving me mad
When i fed liquifry i would get the drop on the end of the bottle then get the drop to break on the water surface, if you just squeeze the drop out it says in one lump and sinks or you end up with loads coming out.... Hope that makes sense
Tetramin baby is a good food, as mentioned you might have to grind it up finer for different fry. Am i right in thinking all fry born from eggs survive off the egg sac for the first couple of days? Honestly cant remember offhand ROFL
Martinspuddle

Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 19:34 pm Am i right in thinking all fry born from eggs survive off the egg sac for the first couple of days? Honestly cant remember offhand ROFL
Yes, but how long fry use their egg sac's I cannot remember off hand, think it's 2-3 days if I recall. To be honest it's been six years since I bred any egglayers, it's been all Livebearers since 2013.
Zebra Fish

I understand the infusoria and worms are best. But this would cause no end of agro especially if anything starts to get smelly. Simply seeing what other options there are out there that could support them. Until their big enough for things like damphina ect