Cleaning with so many fry...

Drifty
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2115 times
Been liked: 761 times

Hello all

I been sitting here for an hour so watching all these frys at the bottom of the tank hiding in the gravel and I also see all the fish poo...
I know I need to clean it but how? How will I do it with out harming the frys... because these frys are dark color frys... where the others have been sliver or white...
I want these alive... Could I just get away with water change for a few weeks?

Thanks
David
Last edited by Drifty on Thu Oct 15, 2020 21:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Create Not Hate
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

Fry are baby fish.
Frys are thin chips spelt wrong. ;)

Most people would be shocked at how much c.rap you can have in a fish tank with no ill effects. It won’t do any harm to wait a week or three before removing it. I often just siphon water out and don’t go near the bottom.
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 353 times

If you need a water change I would put something over the end (tights?) and take the water from the top, leave the gunk alone. If you have an assistant I remember getting my brother to hold a net precisely on the surface so I could syphon from inside it without risking sucking up (accidental) zebra danio fry. Congrats on your fry!
Last edited by Wishafish on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
:] 🦐 🐌
125L: Corydoras trilineatus, Endlers, celestial pearl danios, Amano shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
25L: cherry shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
Drifty
Posting Legend

Wishafish wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 21:22 pm If you need a water change I would put something over the end (tights?) and take the water from the top, leave the gunk alone. If you have an assistant I remember getting my brother to hold a net precisely on the surface so I could syphon from inside it without risking sucking up zebra danio fry. Congrats on your fry!
Good idea with the net... Will try that should be simple once get the siphon going.
black ghost wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 21:16 pm Fry are baby fish.
Frys are thin chips spelt wrong. ;)

Most people would be shocked at how much c.rap you can have in a fish tank with no ill effects. It won’t do any harm to wait a week or three before removing it. I often just siphon water out and don’t go near the bottom.
Good to know I be ok for a few weeks just so they can grow and start coming to the top...
Hoping the others who are getting fatter everyday will hold on until that happen and I can get a clean in...
sorry about the misspelled.

Thanks Guys
Create Not Hate
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

What fry are they, livebearers?
Drifty
Posting Legend

black ghost wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 21:38 pm What fry are they, livebearers?
Yes they are guppies altho the black ones at the bottom are little different... They stay at the bottom and stay still when adult comes and just goes right pass them... I watched I was like WTF... They are good very good... The other thing I notices is they don't act like the the rest... so I'm intrigued to see what they grow into... I also think these ones may be handy cap too just by the way they act...
Create Not Hate
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I do water changes regardless of fry. Just swish the syphon about and the fry usually swim off and hide.
Any fry that do end up in the bucket (and it doesn't happen too often considering there's usually about 100+ fry at any one time in the tank) I catch 'em in an eggcup and pop 'em back in the tank. ;)
Drifty
Posting Legend

Ok cleaning done while I was doing it I find a ramshorn snail no idea where it came from... nothing been added to my tank in over month or so... since it a ramshorn I will keep it and leave it be... no fry lost did not do a gravel clean just a basic 30L water change used the net pretty simple once it got it going and able to hold net and siphon... Trim rotala sent a few frogbits off...
Create Not Hate