Si’s Pond

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 836 times

Little black spawn dots are becoming little black lines.

Also here’s a little video of the fish in today’s sunshine. Isolation ain’t too bad when you’ve built a little paradise.

https://youtu.be/gdkduEfaH3o
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

The tadpoles are coming along nicely then.

We just had one clump of spawn appear a couple of days ago, which is quite late for our froggies. Unfortunately, there seemed to have been just one female, who has now been drowned, what with three males in the pond and clinging on to her. :(
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Ric wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:33 am The tadpoles are coming along nicely then.

We just had one clump of spawn appear a couple of days ago, which is quite late for our froggies. Unfortunately, there seemed to have been just one female, who has now been drowned, what with three males in the pond and clinging on to her. :(
Your pond sounds a lot more distressing than mine!

Although I haven't seen the frogs for a few days and haven't gone poking around in the moss for them either yet!

Watching the spawn grow, I feel like I'm back in primary school science class!
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Yes, its all happening in and around our pond. Seeing all the spawn and tadpoles, then the damselfly larvae but also visiting magpies seem to eat those and we haven't had froglets for a number of years now. On the other hand in the summer there are plenty of beautiful damselfly around and the birds love having a bath and drinking from the pond.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Ric wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:32 am Yes, its all happening in and around our pond. Seeing all the spawn and tadpoles, then the damselfly larvae but also visiting magpies seem to eat those and we haven't had froglets for a number of years now. On the other hand in the summer there are plenty of beautiful damselfly around and the birds love having a bath and drinking from the pond.
I’m wondering if it’s safe to take the netting off the pond yet. It was safe all year until about October when we had a visit from mr Heron and lost a fish.

We had small birds and a couple of massive fat pigeons who bathed in the waterfall last year, but the netting is stopping that at the moment.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I'd be tempted to leave netting on all year round. If possible, perhaps free up a smaller area / corner for the birds...or set up a small wildlife pond just for the frogs / toads / birds, like a small pre-formed pond or create a shallow area with leftover pond liner, if you have.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Si4geckos wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 13:28 pm
I’m wondering if it’s safe to take the netting off the pond yet. It was safe all year until about October when we had a visit from mr Heron and lost a fish.
I wouldn't, the herons may start panic fishing...... ;)
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Well, all those birds didn't self-isolate when birdflu was making the rounds :D
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Si4geckos wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 13:28 pm I’m wondering if it’s safe to take the netting off the pond yet. It was safe all year until about October when we had a visit from Mr Heron and lost a fish.
Mean while... The local Herons here in Sheerness visit next doors pond year round. :cry:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:42 am
Si4geckos wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 13:28 pm I’m wondering if it’s safe to take the netting off the pond yet. It was safe all year until about October when we had a visit from Mr Heron and lost a fish.
Mean while... The local Herons here in Sheerness visit next doors pond year round. :cry:

Hmm, that's annoying. It looks so much better with no net, but really don't want to lose all the goldies! Dilemma...