Buying a new Aquarium recommendations and advice please

Found a LFS you rate highly? Post the details here.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Haha my head is going to explode, I've done so much reading on tanks, filters etc
I have to keep reminding myself that these are very good problems to have compared to what some people in the world are going through at the moment.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4219 times
Been liked: 3886 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:31 am
A pal is trying to convince me to go with a sump tho. I'm so confused!!!
Fair easier with a sump below the main aquarium, added water volume, heating, filtration, dosing and treatments plus you can do your waterchanges though the sump. :]

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Martinspuddle

@PaulVerrall if you don't mind asking, what's your budget for the aquarium?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:22 pm @PaulVerrall if you don't mind asking, what's your budget for the aquarium?
I don't mind you asking :)
I have around £800 from my cancelled Spain trip that I can use all of that. The sale of my current tank will net around 200-250 so in the region of £1000. I can add a bit if necessary, but got to try and cap it somewhere as will need to buy more fish etc aswell
Martinspuddle

Speak to Fit Filtration, three year warranty.

https://fitfiltration.co.uk/pages/more- ... -aquariums

Highly recommended.

Take it from me, never skimp on quality with a large aquarium I did once and regretted it.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 13:22 pm Speak to Fit Filtration, three year warranty.

https://fitfiltration.co.uk/pages/more- ... -aquariums

Highly recommended.

Take it from me, never skimp on quality with a large aquarium I did once and regretted it.
Cheers, just done their online quote etc, will see what they say
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 834 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:09 am
Si4geckos wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 22:07 pm
PaulVerrall wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 15:05 pm So I'm coming very close to pulling the trigger now. I want it with matching cabinet etc

I'm looking at AquamaniaUK on eBay along with Prime aquariums and ND aquariums. Anyone ever bought a 6ft from these with the cabinet and pelmet top etc?

Also on the extras, is it worth paying more for the low iron opti white glass? And they want £129 for this light unit 2x150 cm T5 UNIT 2X80W. Obviously it'd be fitted by them, is that worth it? I'm reluctant to pay a lot of money and get it and start drilling holes myself, or would I be better with the strip light stick on one's I've seen on eBay?
I've got a custom tank from Aquamania. It's amazing! Cheaper than ND Aquatics and as good a quality as I've seen anywhere.

My tank is 6' 8" x 20" x 22"

Had it just over a year. The guys who delivered it got it up a flight of outside stairs, round the back of my house, through 2 door ways (kitchen and lounge) and put it on the stand for me. They used an array of wheels, trolleys and brute strength the get it in. They also put a mat under the tank to disperse any pressure points. They did all this while I was at work and my missus was home. She said they were super careful. Really can't quibble the quality, service or price. The tank was due in 6 weeks, but took 8 so they gave me a further discount. I didn't get any fancy super clear glass and the tank is a beaut (See February tank of the month). If you compare side by side the optiwhite and the marginally tinted glass you'll probably be able to see the difference, but if not next to each other, it'll be pretty slim.

I didn't get the cabinet or top as it was custom dimensions and I built my own stand to fit the room and filter, etc perfectly. I don't like pelmets on the top of tanks, so just got them to do the glass sliders and put an amazon light on the top.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, your tank looks amazing!
I've looked at aquamania and their tanks are cheaper, I can only find them on eBay under aquamania and AquamaniaUK I've messaged both and not had any response for 2 weeks which has made me nervous enough to discount them. I thought it maybe because of lockdown but they are still advertising on eBay. Maybe I'll try contacting them again as you had such a good experience with them.
I went with Aquamania as they were cheaper than ND, the delivery was theoretically shorter and the delivery was to the stand, not kerbside. (Had one cheaper one delivered from another company and carrying it in nearly killed me! Had to return it as the quality was terrible and unsafe). Sure I've seen them advertising on facebook recently. Think a 6x2x2 was either £700 or £800 with stand and top. Not sure how operational any manufacturers are currently. If you get a reply from 'Paul' pretty sure he's a Polish chap called Pavel, but the quality is definitely worth it. If I was to get another tank I'd go back to them. Try Facebook and see if that's any better. Good luck.