Ellobiopsidae help please!

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
itsashrimpthing
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 22 times

Ellobiopsidae help please!

Post by itsashrimpthing »

One of my red rili shrimp has ellobiopsidae- the dreaded green fungus! I have never seen this personally before but heard of other shrimp keepers who have suffered it. My red cherries have never had it. They are kept in a different tank with ramshorn snails and were purchased from my local Maidenhead Aquatics.

My red rili shrimp are in a larger tank (100L), purchased from ProShrimp and are with Neon Tetras and Glass Bloodfin Tetras. I have had the red rilis for approximately 1 month.

Out of 10 shrimp, I have noticed only one with the fungus. First saw it last night but thought it was a berried female. Got a closer look this morning and realised it is the green fungus. No idea how to go about treating it as I have read so many different options with varing degrees of success.

Has anyone here had any experience of this or know how best to try treating it? As I have spotted it early and the fungus is still only a small, thin patch, I am hoping I can separate her now and treat her before the spores spread to the other shrimp. I will also be doing a large water change today and syphoning the gravel.

Thanks in advance!
Large tank (planted): 105L Aquael Leddy 75 -- 10 Red Rili shrimp, 6 Neon Tetra, 11 Glass Bloodfin Tetra
Small tank (planted): 30L Superfish Qubiq -- 20+ Ramshorn snails

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 2774 times
Been liked: 2331 times

Re: Ellobiopsidae help please!

Post by plankton »

The only thing I do know is that you have to isolate the infected shrimp so the others don't eat it it when it dies.
I don't know of any proven meds, but something that states it doesn't harm inverts might be an idea to try. I think it's like a bacterial or algae pathogen, so something that treats that (does Esha Exit harm shrimp?).

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 579 times
Been liked: 1556 times

Post by fr499y »

IIRC, there isn't much out there that actually works. Isolate the shrimp and hope for the best.

*Edit*
Are you sure its not Cladogonium ogishimae, as this is under the shrimp where as Ellobiopsidae is on the top of the shrimp.

Theres a couple of options that might work.

1)Hydrogen Peroxide.
It's a bit risky as you need to kill the filters for a hour. Dose 1.5ml per 4.5 liters of water, wait a hour and put the filter back on.
Might be worth taking the shrimp out and doing this in a seperate container. ( No filter, no substrate, daily 30% water changes )

2) Alder cones and almond leaves.
Antibacterial so always a good idea to have a few in a shrimp tank! No idea if this REALLY helps but apparently people have had success.

itsashrimpthing

Thanks guys for the quick responses! I’m willing to try anything. Fingers crossed.
Large tank (planted): 105L Aquael Leddy 75 -- 10 Red Rili shrimp, 6 Neon Tetra, 11 Glass Bloodfin Tetra

itsashrimpthing

Thought I would give an update for anyone else who comes across the same issue. I have had the infected shrimp isolated in a small container for 2 weeks now.

- - Daily water changes using tank water
- - alder cone and almond leaf
- - dosing with hydrogen peroxide
- - shrimp pellet once every few days

The shrimp is still active and eating but there has been no change with the infection. It hasn't spread any further but also is not showing any signs of improvement. I have been checking daily on my main tank and none of my other shrimp have shown any signs of infection. In fact I have 3 saddled females ready to breed.

I will continue with shrimp isolation but I may tweak the hydrogen peroxide dose to see if that has any effect.

itsashrimpthing

Just in case this helps anyone, the treatment did not work. The shrimp died today. Perhaps I did not catch it in time as I have read of some shrimp keepers having success with H2O2, but 'twas not to be for me.

Interestingly, once the shrimp had died, the fungus changed from bright green to black pretty quickly.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 2774 times
Been liked: 2331 times

Post by plankton »

Sorry to hear :(

itsashrimpthing

plankton wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:54 am Sorry to hear :(
A real shame as it took 4 weeks and progressed slowly, so I was hopeful of success, but that is the nature of keeping animals. It's not all sunshine and rainbows! :cry:

At least I know if I spot it again in the future, the best course of action is perhaps a humane ending instead of a drawn out rescue attempt.