A little help please ❤

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Platies will constantly go around pecking at everything looking for food etc and they will also always come to the front/top thinking they’re getting fed :D
Tanja1985
Been liked: 1 time

Thank you everyone! I will wait and see then... cant really do anything else I suppose. Really appreciate everyones advide!
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Also, it seems to be a marigold platy, which has a slightly longer body shape than the standard platy. The marigolds also don't get quite so big before dropping.
As black ghost mentioned, get a handful of soft fluffy plants (hornwort or cambomba) and they provide good cover for any fry.
Tanja1985

Hello again,

So its been a couple days since my post and so far no fry and she is still well rounded (please see pics attached). Next week friday we will have her for a month (got her 17th december) and as she was already round when we got her i would have thought she should have had her fry by now. Someone mentioned she may be overfed so i reduced the feeding amount but no change. She is otherwise perfectly healthy, poops and swims and eats when i feed her. Theres plenty of plants in the tank as well. I believe her gravid spot has somewhat gotten a bit darker/larger though may also just be my imagination 🙈. And her anus has something white on the outside.. not sure if you can see it on the pic. But im at a total loss really if what to think. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

She’s a very healthy girl. The white vent you can see is the birthing tube. This means birthing will occur in the next few days. Start looking for fry. She might hide behind something when the time comes... :)
Tanja1985

Thank you soo much!

Ive been able to see it for a couple of days and for a while now we been looking for fry. My daughter is especially excited and every morning she gets up and afternoon when she comes from school the first question is: did she have the babies? 😂

I was just worried cause as I said she was already pretty round when we got her and assuming that they carry about 30 days she would be well due now. But I will keep an eye out and hope we will soon see some little ones and that theres nothing else wrong with her. I feel a bit less worried now 😊 thanks again!
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

There can be some variation with the birth date - cooler temps mean she might take a little longer to drop again that's why you sometimes see estimated births every "4-6 weeks". Its not like mammals which have a more fixed gestation period. Also, she could have had fry just before you got her so that's why she needs the whole length of time before producing fry again. As black ghost said, she does look pretty close to dropping now.
Tanja1985

Thank you!

Oh I didnt think of that and didnt know it could take longer then. Thanks for telling me! Its all a learning curve at the moment for me... i read somewhere that they are able to store sperm and could repeatedly drop fry I think for up to 6 months... is this correct please?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

They can store up to 8 sperm sacs, so it could be up to a year that they drop fry. ;) :)
Tanja1985

Oh lord 🙈 thank you! Ill mentally prepare myself for the possibility of lots of babies after this lot then 😬 Wish I knew that all before I got them now... oh well. We deal with it 👍 thank you all for your help, very much appreciated 😁