Ultimate Filtration System

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Bublets

Ultimate Filtration System

Post by Bublets »

hi im sort of new to aquariums and i am wondering could anybody help me with a problem i have going around in my head.

I would like to create in my 250L aquarium a full filtration system
(i don't mind building a divider sort of thing to hide it all as i am planning on doing it to hide the heater ect...) but i want to somehow make it so there is no way for waste from under the gravel to accumulate but as the water comes up it goes through a filter to trap all the stuff that is harmful to the fishes, i am not trying to be lazy i just don't want to be getting everything out (as i am disabled) when i could simply disconnect the air pump to stop the water flow to the filter so i am able to change the filter stuff and simply reconnect after and start the pump and filter back up. is it possible and is it viable.
Last edited by Bublets on Sun Mar 29, 2020 22:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Currently in the process of putting together a 250L Aquarium

mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has Liked: 330 times
Been liked: 827 times

Re: Ultimate Filtration System

Post by mikeyw64 »

welcome to the mad house :)

I'm just going to say it, crystal clear water is for our benefit not the fishes ;o)

80L :: The Fireplace Community::
Platy :: Neon Tetra :: Ember Tetra :: Panda Cory :: Ottocinclus
300L :: The Sunnyside 300 :: Dwarf Cichlids :: Bleeding Heart Tetra :: Rummy Nose Tetra
24L :: Eddisons Castle in a Cube :: Platy Nursery
Excel Tank Logs

Bublets

Post by Bublets »

:o please say your joking haha and thanks for the welcome :D

mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has Liked: 330 times
Been liked: 827 times

Post by mikeyw64 »

Nope, it really is for our benefit :)

What is for the residents benefit is staying on top of your water parameters, your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

The fish are quite happy with cloudy hazy dark water :)

80L :: The Fireplace Community::
Platy :: Neon Tetra :: Ember Tetra :: Panda Cory :: Ottocinclus
300L :: The Sunnyside 300 :: Dwarf Cichlids :: Bleeding Heart Tetra :: Rummy Nose Tetra
24L :: Eddisons Castle in a Cube :: Platy Nursery
Excel Tank Logs

Bublets

Post by Bublets »

*i have edited my question to hopefully make it more simple (hopefully explaining isnt my strong point) and i am keeping on top of all of that, its just i am planning on moving my babies (my fishes haha) from a 100L tank to a 250L and would like to make it so it is clean from not only above the substrate but below aswell

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester
Forum Jester
Has Liked: 1330 times
Been liked: 1428 times

Post by Martinspuddle »

Greetings. :]

Many of the fishes we keep come from waters filled with tanning's, that is to say vegetation that is breaking down in the water column. It's perfectly natural and benefits the fishes health. Very few species of tropical fishes we keep are found in crystal clear waters. ;)

I've left a link for if you want to see these fishes natural habits; Snorkelling with Tetras

Edit; I wrote this seeing edit to your post. So what have you got, so we can work out what's going on here?
Last edited by Martinspuddle on Mon Mar 30, 2020 0:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
That’s the way the money goes, Pop! goes the weasel :cry:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2:

Bublets

Post by Bublets »

thanks martin for the greeting - i am wondering if my idea that i have is it worth doing to help me with maintaining and to stop fish waste from building up beneath my gravel so it gets brought up and filtered out

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester
Forum Jester

Post by Martinspuddle »

Bublets wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 23:00 pm
thanks martin for the greeting - i am wondering if my idea that i have is it worth doing to help me with maintaining and to stop fish waste from building up beneath my gravel so it gets brought up and filtered out
If the aquarium is planted out heavily it shouldn't be an issue.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bublets

Post by Bublets »

i have plenty of live plants within the tank :) also would just going bare bottom be a bad idea

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester
Forum Jester

Post by Martinspuddle »

Bublets wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 23:48 pm
i have plenty of live plants within the tank :) also would just going bare bottom be a bad idea
Bare bottom aquariums are OK if you want to keep it clinical and you have to make sure the glass is kept clean otherwise a film of mulm will build up over time.

I started keeping tropical fish in 1981 and all my tanks at that time were clinical, now I don't bother cleaning my aquarium substrate, it's covered in botanicals with no ill effects to the fish, if anything fish are healthier and more colourful. I kept a what I called a wild aquarium for two years, mulm, mud, leaf litter and decaying botanicals with only waterchanges. Everything thrived and now I wouldn't keep them any other way.