"Large" fish in stores

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

Hi all,

Lately i've seen fish for sale advertised as large versions such as keyhole cichilids and bolivian rams for example (heard of XL Blue rams too but never seen them in person) but I was wondering what are these really? Are they just older fish that have grown a bit before going on sale or are they likely to be bigger through selective breeding or use of hormones & stuff?
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

I have seen XL rams in shops before which just looked like larger versions of the normal rams. Behaviour wise, in a shop tank, they were the same as the smaller ones, so from that point of view I did not get the impression that they were simply old. But it did make me wonder, too, whether they've been pumped up with hormones and special feeds or whether they are a breed type - not sure.
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Never heard of such a thing!! Imagine a huge Cardinal!! Or a big massive Rummy!!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Anything list as 'XL' or 'Jumbo' as in Neons I have seen before, my advice, avoid.

They could be fully grown wild caught stock sold at inflated prices or raised to a fully grown size by commercial breeders, from Singapore or Holland wanting to off load their old stock for fresh and purchased at low price by your local stockiest.

Either way most wouldn't last that long because their near to the end of their natural lifespan.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 19:17 pm Anything list as 'XL' or 'Jumbo' as in Neons I have seen before, my advice, avoid.

They could be fully grown wild caught stock sold at inflated prices or raised to a fully grown size by commercial breeders, from Singapore or Holland wanting to off load their old stock for fresh and purchased at low price by your local stockiest.

Either way most wouldn't last that long because their near to the end of their natural lifespan.
I was just imagining - can you actually get such a thing?! Not in my LFS!
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

There's a question, if you could pick a fish you could have a giant (or smaller) version of what would it be?

I'd go for:

Giant Yellow Honey Gourami
Small Clown Loaches
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

A large Keyhole cichlid or large Bolivian ram is likely to be several months old as opposed to a youngster.
I bought my Cupid cichlids quite large so basically have been in store for a while or maybe returned by a fish keeper who no longer wants them.
Their lifespan is probably up to about 5 years, mine were probably 6 months old when I got them, I've had them about 15 months and returned three earlier this week.
So those three are probably getting towards 2 years old and the LFS will sell them at a premium, maybe £25 each.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)