Brown Hair Algae - Advice needed

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

So there's been a little bit of Brown hair algae on my slow growing Cyperus Helferi for a while but over the last few weeks it's been expanding and blooming. It's so well attached to plants that I'm struggling to pull it off, nothing in the tank eats it and I don't seem to be able to get it under control.

More light? Less Light? More Fertiliser? Less Fertiliser? More light? Less Light? I just don't know.

It's also really hard to focus on because it's fuzzy so here's the best photos I've got.

Help me forum wan kenobi, you're my only hope.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Chadders
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 40 times

I've just started getting this mostly on my Java moss. I've read a few things that can cause it, to much iron and or phosphate and that liquid carbon keeps it under control, I'm currently using Seachem Flourish excell. This is just what I've read I'm no expert.
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Are you full dosing with the new fertilizer?
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

I was full dosing, within a few days it went nuts so I dropped to half dosing and reducing light hours.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

If you kill it with hydrogen peroxide spot dosing the BNs should eat it.
That should keep it at bay until you work out the balance of ferts, flow and light.
mantis
Has liked: 691 times
Been liked: 252 times

Is it just too much liquid ferts that can cause this or is too little a problem as well?

I've noticed since removing my wave maker mine has calmed down a lot so I'm guessing too much flow is a thing as well.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Too little ferts generally cause algae rather than too much, especially if your maintenance is good.
If there are too little nutrients then the plants dont have enough and struggle to grow, algae then takes advantage as they dont need as much as the plants to thrive.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!