Come on Boris, give us some good news!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

fr499y wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:30 pm People for you.... moan when something goes right, moan when something goes wrong, ignore advice then moan that things have gone wrong..

Humans are a selfish breed, who only look out for themselves. The reason we are in the situation we are in.
Only ourselves to blame.

I’m out!
*🎤 drop*
Aye.
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 325 times
Been liked: 236 times

mattindevon
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 50 times

SPACKlick wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:45 am
mattindevon wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:38 amThe government are basing all this on 'cases' which are little more than a lot of false positive PCR tests. There's little to no chance of escaping these measures with them being based on such flimsy 'evidence'.
That's just untrue. Cases is based on a variety of tests with variable accuracy [mattindevon's empshasis] and the decision metrics account for those inaccuracies. The scale of the effort to get accurate numbers is unparalleled in my lifetime. The evidence is far from flimsy and people who say it is just want to deny reality to feel comfortable.
If shutting down the country works why then is it that after so many months of full and partial shutdown this supposed pandemic is allegedly so desperately out of control that the country is being turned into a concentration camp? Is there really any logic in what we're told? Nothing about this makes me feel comfortable I can assure you. As for the cases, what does such a number tell you even if it's accurate? Next to nothing. A seasonal virus is with us just like every other year and it spreads uncontrollably just as any virus would.

The fact is that the hospitals are quieter than normal. Almost nobody has died ofCovid, but rather withit (average age 82). Arguments could be made for shielding certain people if they can be shielded and want to but what the government is doing is inflicting all sorts of damage on the country for no discernable gain. Where's the evidence that any of the government's measures has actually worked? We know their data modelling is wrong in just about every way.

My question would be this: how far are people happy for this to go on? All through 2021? Two more years, three? How can society and the economy possibly cope with this? Who pays for the NHS when the national debt is skyrocketing, lots of people are being paid to stay at home and not work, and unemployment and business closures soar? We can't afford as a nation to become fixated on viruses like this. Life must go on.

Sorry if that sounds like a rant but I fear we're on unstable ground here and I wish there was more perspective and questioning of what we're told by the powers that be. Keep bearing in mind that this is a political as well as a scientific issue - when did politicians suddenly become so widely believed?
AquaEl 60x30x30: 7 x Male Guppy, 2 x Hillstream Loach, 2 x Albino Cory, 2 x Bronze Cory, 1 x Golden Eyed Dwarf Cichlid
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

So first, it shouldn't go un-noted that you've now moved from "The numbers of cases are wrong" to "The protective measures we've used aren't working"

While many departments of hospitals are under-subscribed. The departments that deal with Covid (respiratory and ICU) keep coming close to their limits in area after area as the pandemic moves across the country. I'm not remotely listening to politicians on this. They will sell whatever idea they've glommed on to this week whether they understand it or not. I work in data analytics for the NHS (not this area but speak regularly with colleagues who are working with these numbers) I have friends at PHE and some of the institutions working on the testing numbers. The people looking at the data don't have doubts about what worked. If the question is why haven't measures worked it depends on what you mean by worked. In areas where there has been high compliance with distancing measures cases fall, Covid deaths fall, excess deaths fall.

Early on, there was over-compliance. People doing less in lockdown that would strictly have been sensible. Avoiding meeting people where the excess health risk would have been low and the benefits to their mental health etc would have outweighed them. Now, with lockdown fatigue we have the opposite problem, many people are looking to do everything they can that isn't explicitly forbidden. The same rule receives different results because individuals are behaving differently.

If we'd done nothing millions at least a million people would have died. And plenty have died OF covid. To say they haven't is to ignore reality. We can't afford as a nation NOT to be fixated on this virus right now. We need to get the message out that the little things matter, and still matter as much as they did in lockdown. By the end of next year there should be enough vaccinated that we can be basically back to normal and across next year we'll come out of restrictions step by step.

Edit: Removed a figure that I don't have the numbers to back up from the last paragraph.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

12 months ago the whole world knew nothing about Covid-19, it is completely new.

On 31 December 2019, the World Health Organization ( WHO ) was informed of a cluster of cases of pneumonia of unknown cause detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China.
On 12 January 2020, it was announced that a novel coronavirus had been identified in samples obtained from cases and that initial analysis of virus genetic sequences suggested that this was the cause of the outbreak. This virus is referred to as SARS-CoV-2, and the associated disease as COVID-19.
As of 18 December 2020 (10:00am CET), over 71 million cases have been diagnosed globally with more than 1.6 million fatalities.

In the UK there is now a variant of Covid-19.
The rest of the world are concerned about Covid-19 and this variant.
Covid-19: More than 40 countries ban UK arrivals over Covid (BBC link)

This pandemic is real, it is not a political issue per se but a world-wide health issue.

425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)