Gold fish (possible swim bladder)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
jwhitehurst97
Has liked: 1 time

I’ve had bristle nose plecos and synodontis catfish for years never had any trouble. My daughters goldfish which she’s had for around 3 years has suddenly turned un well. I’m guessing it’s swim bladder. I’ve done a water change and added swim bladder medication to the tank, it’s been a day and no improvement, I haven’t fed it sinse it’s been unwel,It’s breathing but pretty much motionless. Any ideas on what else I can do or is it no longer worth it?
Thanks

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 1824 times

What size tank and what filtration? I’m seeing Peppa Pig in the background text which makes me think this is a pets at home type kids tank of maybe 25L at most?
It looks absolutely done for I’m afraid. But if we know details of tank, water parameters, filtration and how the tank was initially cycled then it might help for any future efforts. Hope your daughter is ok
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
jwhitehurst97

The tank she has yes is extremely basic. 18 L tank and the filter just came with it yet again very basic but did the job for 3 years. Regular water change and testing by me all okay and even now it’s still okay. Which is why I thought swim bladder? The fish moves every so often but 90% of the time is motionless at the bottom of the tank
jwhitehurst97

For probably around 30hours now
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Sorry to hear. :(
Has it swallowed any of that gravel (is it gravel?), that often happens?
The tank is too small though, does it even have a filter?
jwhitehurst97

Yeah there’s a filter. It has lasted for 3 years with no issues? It’s the only fish in the tank. Yeah it’s gravel and I have no idea if it’s swallowed any or not
jwhitehurst97

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 1824 times

It did well to last 3 years. Goldfish are better in tanks with excess filtration and starting at 50L per fish.
How do you test? Liquid kit/strips? And what water change schedule.

Fish don’t just “get” swim bladder. It’s a symptom of other conditions and in this case I’d say something more must have been going on. It looks tiny for a 3 year old comet.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Looks like a comet or common goldfish, not a fancy, so should get to around 12". A 150l/200l is the smallest for them to grow properly without stunting (and the problems associated with that), plus an extra 50l per fish after that.
Many people don't have that explained to them, but goldies (commons and koi anyway) can live to up to between 40 and 80 years in the right conditions.
(Not having a pop at you, just explaining possible causes for problems and letting you know for the future. ;) :) )