There’s no “I” in Tree (unless you’re a Mum)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

“ Mycorrhizae are symbiotic unions of fungi and roots that connect trees to form giant underground networks.
These networks allow the flow of nutrients between trees, but also communication signals, even involving learning and decision making.
These networks can recognise their own kin, with larger “Mother Trees” providing for their own kin over other seedlings.
Scientist Suzanne Simard has come to think that these forest networks behave like neural networks, which are responsible for the seeding of intelligence in our brain.

Consider a forest: One notices the trunks, of course, and the canopy. If a few roots project artfully above the soil and fallen leaves, one notices those too, but with little thought for a matrix that may spread as deep and wide as the branches above. Fungi don’t register at all except for a sprinkling of mushrooms; those are regarded in isolation, rather than as the fruiting tips of a vast underground lattice intertwined with those roots. The world beneath the earth is as rich as the one above.”

https://fivemedia.com/curated/never-und ... JJCKUVWTY8
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Very Avatar-esque way of thinking :D
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Look up "Honey Fungus" .
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

I watched a program years ago on mushrooms and other fungi. If only I could remember it’s name.