New but loving the hobby

Tell us a bit about yourself!
LauraR
Been liked: 8 times

I'm Laura I live in Manchester but originally from Huddersfield. Currently my zoo consists of two shih Tzu's Wilfred and Elsie. Two albino African claw frogs, one golden albino axolotl, 4 danios, 5 male Siamese fighters, 17 betta females, 6 corydoras 3 of which are albino Rams and 26 various colourful guppies. All in various tanks and rooms. The newest tank to our home is with 3 albino corydoras and 10 mountain minnows. The first tank which kicked off our obsession is in our living room with 2 yellow goldfish, 2 shubunki s and one massive bubble eyed fantail oranda.

I'm disabled so I spend a lot of time watching the fishes. I have multiple long term and incurable illnesses and find hobbies are my way to cope. I love to garden when I can. I'm into cross stitch, sewing, wood craft kits and pyrography. I do a lot of crafts and find my days that I'm not at the hospital then I'm occupied. I have my mum living with me and we get on brilliantly. At the moment she's dealing with a serious condition but we're pulling each other through. My other passion is music, it's always on in our house even the dogs know when the music is off we're going out or to bed. I don't go out alone as I'm not safe by myself so fishkeeping is literally keeping me sane right now.
:swim: Laura :swim:
Baddams
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 91 times

Wow, that is a menagerie! Welcome to the site, Laura.
Jen1981
Posting Legend
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 90 times

Hi Laura & welcome!!

I’d love to see a picture of your Axolotl, I find them fascinating & very pretty :]
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

this thread needs pictures (or more like it's own gallery lol)
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

I agree :D Sounds like you have an AWESOME collection! Welcome to Aquarium Forums :D
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Hello and welcome to AF-UK :)
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Hello and welcome Laura

Stephen
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

As others have said WOW! You really have your hands full there.

So glad your fish (and the rest of the zoo) give you so much pleasure. With all those critters around I'm sure you have tons of experience to add here so welcome and I look forward to pictures too :grin:
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Welcome to the forum :)
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

Hi Laura welcome to the forum :) Thanks for sharing your story, very interesting and I can certainly relate to a some of it.

Love the sound of your menagerie. Sounds like you caught MTS (multiple tank syndrome :D ). Glad to hear how much you are enjoying fish keeping. It really is so rewarding. Such a variety of fish, I'm sure they keep you very entertained.

That's a lot of hobbies Laura, what a talented person you must be! :D Very nice that you and your Mum are there for each other.

Hope to see a lot more of you here on the forum :)
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach
Filtration 2 x Aqua One Aquis 1050 externals, 1 x Ocellaris 850 external

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205