Hello from Oxfordshire

Tell us a bit about yourself!
MelBud29
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 8 times

Hi Everyone!

I’m Mel and I am hoping to start up a new aquarium in the next couple of months after being out of the hobby for about 10 years.

Previously I had a 180l community tank that we had to sell due to a house move, with swordtails, tetras, a big Bristlenose named Silent Bob (I still miss him :heart: ) and a few dwarf chain loaches.

I’m currently hoping to go for a 240l tank, tropical again (currently the Juwel Rio 240 is the front runner due to size requirements) and ideally I’d love for us to have discus.

I’m still relearning everything I’ve forgotten since last having a tank, and also learning about all the new developments since then - my old tank ran on a standard internal filter and a powerhead!

At the moment I’m looking into canister filters, as the tank is going in our living room so I do want something that will run pretty quietly. I know the Jewel comes with an inbuilt, so I’m wondering about keeping that and adding a smaller canister as well. Any advice would be great on this topic, there’s so much conflicting advice on level of filtration!

In terms of ideal stocking, what I’d love to have are approx 6 juvenile discus roughly 5” to 6” to grow on, but not too small so I have to overfeed. I’m def looking at German stendkers as we live in a hard water area and our local fish shop has these kept in HMA filtered tap water and they do great. Then I would love to have a small shoal of cardinals/rummy nose/lemon tetras, some corys, Otos, and a pleco (bristle or gold nugget).

Decor wise I’m probably going for a thin layer of light substrate either sand or small gravel, driftwood and pebbles with a couple of plants but not too many, and ideally anchored on the wood rather than planted, to minimise cleaning. I still need to do more research on the plants!

Oh and we do have a cat, so that’s another thing I’m trying to plan ahead for and work out how that will go :D

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi and give a bit of info about where I am in my planning. We are currently touring loads of local fish shops talking over tanks and filters, to try and get the equipment part ironed out, then it’s on to tank set up! Yay!
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

Hi Mel, welcome to the forum Image
I could mention a few things, but feel it will be better to wait for one of our more experienced members to help you with suggestions and advice.

So exciting setting up a new tank, and very clever of you to join a forum before doing it! I wish that I had done it this way round when I set my tank up. It sure would have saved me a lot of stress/grief/hair lol :rolleyes: :D

I look forward to seeing how your tank goes in the future :)

ETA I have two cats and was quite disappointed they showed zero interest in my fish! ROFL
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

Hello Mel and welcome to the forum :)

Stephen
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Hello and welcome Mel :)
I look forward to seeing your tank develop. There’s some guides (that might help refresh your memory) in the guides and resources section.
I also have 2 cats who have shown next to no interest in the tanks/fish and i didnt have hair when i started anyway ROFL
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
All I will say at this point is that gold nuggets tend not to do very well at all in hard water. ;)
BIGFISH
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 58 times

Hi Mel sounds like we have a few things in common.Both Jewel fans,both returning after a long layoff and both newcomers to this forum!
MelBud29

Fishtales wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 23:03 pm Hi Mel, welcome to the forum Image
I could mention a few things, but feel it will be better to wait for one of our more experienced members to help you with suggestions and advice.

So exciting setting up a new tank, and very clever of you to join a forum before doing it! I wish that I had done it this way round when I set my tank up. It sure would have saved me a lot of stress/grief/hair lol :rolleyes: :D

I look forward to seeing how your tank goes in the future :)

ETA I have two cats and was quite disappointed they showed zero interest in my fish! ROFL
Hi Fishtales!

Thank you, I’m looking forward to chatting to everyone and hopefully getting pointers along the way! Please feel free to mention anything - Im hoping to get all the advice I can before taking the plunge and investing in this tank!

Good to know about the cats (your avatar is adorable!) I’m hoping mine will behave but he does have a tendency to be a little monkey, and he’s also a big 6kg boy, so all my fingers are crossed at the moment that he’s not interested!
MelBud29

Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:10 am Hello and welcome Mel :)
I look forward to seeing your tank develop. There’s some guides (that might help refresh your memory) in the guides and resources section.
I also have 2 cats who have shown next to no interest in the tanks/fish and i didnt have hair when i started anyway ROFL
Hello!

Ooh fab ok I will go check those out thank you, I’m still figuring out the navigation in here :D

Even more good cat news then LOL! I actually did a silly test run with the He cat by putting a HD tropical tank on the TV for a while the other day and he didn’t bother with it at all, so here’s hoping that carries on. My nightmare scenario is him jumping on it when we aren’t around and the whole thing going boom :cry:
MelBud29

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Ah good to know re the golden nugget, thanks Plankton! I’m still working on the exact species to go for for all the community additions, so again I’m open to any suggestions!

Hi Bigfish! Nice to have others at the same stage roughly!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Ours are pretty good, they know not to jump on the tanks and never really even bother, we might get a look/indication they’re having the idea but it never gets further than that.
Our younger one (Ari) prefers watching an Attenborough doc if possible with birds, or the dancing clap-trap from borderlands :D