Hello all

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Hunthiof
Has liked: 1 time

Stephen wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 23:44 pm
Hunthiof wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 20:36 pm
Stephen wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:49 am Hello and welcome to the forum.

How hard is your water?
Some fish are quite adaptable but that would depend on the actual hardness.
Hi Stephen,

Hardness is something that I am trying to get my head around as there seem to be so many different measures. Best I can tell from the local water company web site is it's higher than 200ppm.
Where are you located (town name only) as it can be looked up.
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the interest, I am in Rugby, water supplier is Severn Trent, it reports as follows:
Hardness Level Hard
Hardness Clark 17.77
Hardness French 25.39
Hardness German 14.22

I found another site that quotes 160ppm, Soft to Moderately hard. This seems to low. My API test strips allways show GH as max, 180+
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Your hardness is about the same as mine, i’m a little down the road in Corby. Your better off using the liquid test kits, the strips can be notoriously unreliable :)
If your using conditioned tap water i would use the figures from your supplier as the best guide. The most common reading used is degrees German :)
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

I agree with GL.

14.22 dGH (degrees German hardness) is hard but not rock hard like in other areas.
Hunthiof

Gingerlove05 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 20:18 pm Your hardness is about the same as mine, i’m a little down the road in Corby. Your better off using the liquid test kits, the strips can be notoriously unreliable :)
If your using conditioned tap water i would use the figures from your supplier as the best guide. The most common reading used is degrees German :)
I hear you regarding the test strips, I think Santa has a liquid test kit lined up for me :D
Very useful to hear it's the German degrees used, it helps to know what people are referring to.

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Hunthiof

Stephen wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 0:16 am I agree with GL.

14.22 dGH (degrees German hardness) is hard but not rock hard like in other areas.
Thanks, you guys have de-mistified the hardness for me.

Merry Christmas to all :D