Hi All, Just got myself a fish tank AGAIN! (Bancrupcy incoming)

Tell us a bit about yourself!
fr499y
Administrator
Administrator
Has Liked: 429 times
Been liked: 946 times

Re: Hi All, Just got myself a fish tank AGAIN! (Bancrupcy incoming)

Post by fr499y »

looks like sandstone?

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has Liked: 1962 times
Been liked: 1279 times

Post by Gingerlove05 »

That’s normally the best way to test them :)
Except i wouldnt put them in boiling water, some stones can explode when you do that (air pockets expanding rapidly)

SxAqua
Has Liked: 481 times
Been liked: 354 times

Post by SxAqua »

Joefish wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 14:25 pm
I like to paint the back glass black, with black gravel, then the green of the plants and the colours of the fish really stand out, gives it some depth especially with the perfectly selected peices of wood and natural sone, I like to make it look as if youve just put your head under a real river, Never had Co2 injection, or used any type of soil or anything, and my plants have never thrived, so some help with that would be fantastic :)
What size is the gravel ? If its fine enough you could think about some sort of soil or clay to help the plants along. Im quite new to the hobby, but have used jbl's flora base capped with sand and did a decent job for my easy grow plants.

codheadjohn
Been liked: 1 time

Post by codheadjohn »

SxAqua wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 16:58 pm
Joefish wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 14:25 pm
I like to paint the back glass black, with black gravel, then the green of the plants and the colours of the fish really stand out, gives it some depth especially with the perfectly selected peices of wood and natural sone, I like to make it look as if youve just put your head under a real river, Never had Co2 injection, or used any type of soil or anything, and my plants have never thrived, so some help with that would be fantastic :)
What size is the gravel ? If its fine enough you could think about some sort of soil or clay to help the plants along. Im quite new to the hobby, but have used jbl's flora base capped with sand and did a decent job for my easy grow plants.
Agree. If you want plants, then a suitable substrate is vital. There's cheap ways to do it or the expensive brand names, but putting plants in gravel makes it difficult. CO2 is a complete game changer, I went from unable to keep anything alive to chopping out half my plants every few weeks. That along with EI ferts. It is difficult getting the system tuned to work though, better off doing that before you put fish in

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester
Forum Jester
Has Liked: 1670 times
Been liked: 1748 times

Post by Martinspuddle »

Joefish wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 14:34 pm
Do you think these are too big? They are about 10kg each but they are nice natural stone, if i do the white vinegar test on them, soak them in boiling water and scrub them for ages, should do the trick shouldnt it, thats what i usually do?

Also just bare in mind the amount of water they will displace. ;)
I can multi task, I can screw six things up at once! :grin:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:

Joefish
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Joefish »

Yeah i will do haha

So nervous about this stand, its level, but the person i bought it off told me to put this thin foam stuff underneath, but it doesent look right at all to me, imterrified of filling this thing fully, never been this nervous about a fish tank before, my old 350 litre tank had a solid oak/mahongany stand that was solid enough to park a car on, just have a look at this picture, looks odd... and thats a 20kg bag of gravel in it, barely touched it LOL Gonna be so skint soon, not even started on it yet and ive already spent like £400.... LOL!!!!

SxAqua
Has Liked: 481 times
Been liked: 354 times

Post by SxAqua »

Joefish wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 20:20 pm
Yeah i will do haha

So nervous about this stand, its level, but the person i bought it off told me to put this thin foam stuff underneath, but it doesent look right at all to me, imterrified of filling this thing fully, never been this nervous about a fish tank before, my old 350 litre tank had a solid oak/mahongany stand that was solid enough to park a car on, just have a look at this picture, looks odd... and thats a 20kg bag of gravel in it, barely touched it LOL Gonna be so skint soon, not even started on it yet and ive already spent like £400.... LOL!!!!

Really nice shape that ! Like it 👍

I think as long as the stand felt sturdy before you put the tank on it, it should be fine. Did you check over all the fixings on the table ?

Joefish

Post by Joefish »

Yeah it all seemed as solid as can be expected, i think its just because ive built alot of ikea chipboard garbage furnature for people before now, it just seems crazy to me that the 450kg of water plus the 60-80kg of the glass is all held up with 3 pieces of false wood, i suppose as there are no sideways forces its all going down the weight so it should be fine, what do you think of that foam stuff i put underneath, it wasnt the same size perfectly, but its only 5mm foam stuff, im sure 10mm glass wont crack if that stuff isnt perfectly aligned

stechappo
Has Liked: 142 times
Been liked: 198 times

Post by stechappo »

The wood used on stands is compressed plywood/hardwood, much better quality then Ikea's compressed cardboard stuff.

Hurry and fill we want more pics haha :woo: ::thumb::

Joefish

Post by Joefish »

can someone cheer me up with some pointless garbage, im quite down about spending £400 so far and not even having any fish, and being redundant through corona virus hitting, cheer me up, tell me i have made a good choice hahaha