Ill Hatchet fish?

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2404 times
Been liked: 2436 times

Re: Ill Hatchet fish?

Post by Martinspuddle »

Gasteropelecus maculatus which I'm guessing you have are rarely seen in the hobby and are mostly likely to be wild caught from Colombia. I never had these and I had to refresh myself about them. I think you'll find they get a little other 2" inches and prefer soft, acidic water at around 24°c, this may well be the issue here. I'd raise the water level for a start as it turns out these Hatchets like to swim two to three inches below the surface, second, think for longevity of these fish your going to need to make your water more acidic, easily done with more bogwood, adding Catappa leaves and other botanicals. You could use an RO water / Tapwater mix but in this case I don't think it would be really necessary, but a small amount of filter peat probably wouldn't go a miss to lower the water hardness levels. I use Sera Super peat, 100 grams in a small filter or even in a media mesh bag hanging in the water flow by your filter will do the trick. I change the peat once a month and should keep them happy.

Edit; You may also find these fish prefer shaded areas and so might be preferable to reduce your lighting period as well.

Don't worry about your Neon tetras, they are also found in blackwater streams, appreciate the acidic water and may even spawn because of the water conditions. :]
Arrivals information: --- Aqua Oak Aquarium --- Delays :[

...pesky carpet fitters are not coming till the 17th of May now. :mad:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:

Bubbles
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Bubbles »

Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 13:56 pm Gasteropelecus maculatus which I'm guessing you have are rarely seen in the hobby and are mostly likely to be wild caught from Colombia. I never had these and I had to refresh myself about them. I think you'll find they get a little other 2" inches and prefer soft, acidic water at around 24°c, this may well be the issue here. I'd raise the water level for a start as it turns out these Hatchets like to swim two to three inches below the surface, second, think for longevity of these fish your going to need to make your water more acidic, easily done with more bogwood, adding Catappa leaves and other botanicals. You could use an RO water / Tapwater mix but in this case I don't think it would be really necessary, but a small amount of filter peat probably wouldn't go a miss to lower the water hardness levels. I use Sera Super peat, 100 grams in a small filter or even in a media mesh bag hanging in the water flow by your filter will do the trick. I change the peat once a month and should keep them happy.

Edit; You may also find these fish prefer shaded areas and so might be preferable to reduce your lighting period as well.

Don't worry about your Neon tetras, they are also found in blackwater streams, appreciate the acidic water and may even spawn because of the water conditions. :]
Thanks for the advice....Oh dear, I wish they weren't wild caught. The guy was a bit vague so I just hoped. I'll get some peat and bog wood. That'll turn the water brown, right? Will the Corys be happy with this? And I forgot the bristlenose plec....?

Ok, I'll fill the tank! More swimming space is always a good thing.

I find the feeding quite tricky. It's hard to know how much has been eaten when the filter moves the food around and probably sucks some of it up!

Martinspuddle

Post by Martinspuddle »

All your fishes are found in blackwater areas and yes there will a tann colour to your water.

Mine;

Tapwater

Aquarium water

From the front you won't really notice the difference after a few weeks. Even with the amount of botanicals I have you wouldn't know. :]

click to enlarge

All my botanicals come from https://blackwateruk.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

Wow, that's not v brown at all, though I'm ok with it anyway if that's what the squishes like. Thanks for the link to the shop too....its got some lovely things. I'll get some leaves and pods too and make more hidey places on the floor. Probably will never see the corys again!

I hope its not too late and all this helps the poorly hatchet. Thanks for your help.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 3128 times
Been liked: 2472 times

Post by plankton »

Do you soak the dried bloodworm for 20 minutes before feeding?

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

plankton wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:39 am Do you soak the dried bloodworm for 20 minutes before feeding?
No, I didn't. Does that make them more digestible? I went to the shop today and they recommended frozen blood worms and said the dried ones weren't very good. So I bought and defrosted some of the frozen ones and gave them to the fish, but they sank so fast the hatchets only got a few.

I was going to get some live food, as recommended, but the guy at the shop said it might not be a good idea as they can introduce parasites. He said stick to the frozen blood worms and flakes for the hatchet fish! Its a minefield this feeding!

:banghead:

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 3128 times
Been liked: 2472 times

Post by plankton »

The dried ones take water from the digestive system and cause problems.
Also make sure you defrost the frozen ones, or that can lead to problems as well (think "brain-freeze" with ice cream ;) ).

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

Ok! Maybe that's what happened to poor hatchet. Hes having treatment for swim bladder infection too. The green water looks horrible mixed with a new big chunk of bog wood!

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

Thanks for the help everyone.

Martinspuddle

Post by Martinspuddle »

The moral of the story here is always research, research and research again, then if still in doubt, ask us. :]