Nitrite!!!!

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
ReadyEddie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Hi guys, first post. Ive been dropped in the crap a bit here and am trying my best to rectify it, so bare with me, im new to this (but a bit addicted already) ive researched a lot since i got the tank, but so much to learn.

For reasons beyond my control i "inherited" ex missus/daughter had been to pets at home!!!) a 24 ltr fish tank that was 2 weeks old, with 7 fish (all added a day after water🙄), no heater but temp at around 22 (i didnt realise the significance of temp until i started testing parameters and reading more).

I got a liquid test kit and started testing, paranoid about nitrates after reading but still not fully aware of the cycle. About 3 weeks ago i started testing for nitrites and Amonia , the amonia has remained at 0.25 but the nitrates are through the roof, reaching 4ppm, a 50% water change only reduces them to about 0.50, i started adding a cycle enhancer about 2 weeks ago, i added a heater to bring temp up to 25 once i realised it was actually needed and may help with bacteria growth. I stopped testing nitrates once i understood the cycle better, doing 2 x 50% water changes per week too (probably not helping the bacteria for nitrites i know)

Im trying my best to get this tank cycled so my little mates dont suffer but the nitrite levels are starting to concern me, the fish seem happy but its not good, i know. I plan on a bigger tank soon but will not be cycling with fish, thats for sure.

Any advise welcome, i dont have access to any established filter media unfortunately, Am i panicking too much or is there anything else i can do to reduce them, id have expected bacteria to start converting these nitites into nitrates by now.

Im assuming the water changes are helping remove nirites, but not great for the bacteria that eats them? Feel like im juggling 10 balls with this now.

Any advice welcome
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Hello and welcome :)
Your doing the right thing by water changing to reduce the ammonia/nitrite. You might want to get hold of some seachem prime conditioner as it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite (making it safe for your fish) but still allows the filter bacteria to consume it. I caught the tail end of my cycle and had to do daily water changes like yourself (around 50% to dilute the levels by 50%) and prime is a good conditioner, it may seem expensive but it is more cost effective long term as you dont need capfuls of it for it to work :)
ReadyEddie

Gingerlove05 wrote: ↑Thu Dec 12, 2019 17:09 pm Hello and welcome :)
Your doing the right thing by water changing to reduce the ammonia/nitrite. You might want to get hold of some seachem prime conditioner as it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite (making it safe for your fish) but still allows the filter bacteria to consume it. I caught the tail end of my cycle and had to do daily water changes like yourself (around 50% to dilute the levels by 50%) and prime is a good conditioner, it may seem expensive but it is more cost effective long term as you dont need capfuls of it for it to work :)

Cheers bud

Im using fluval cycle to help....is that the same thing as prime? Im in a complete rut with it to be honest, ive been told to leave the tank alone but the thought of harming the fish is playing on my mind.

I dont know if the water changes are having an impact on the bacteria build up? Im not sure if its a filtration issue?

Cycling a tank with fish is 100% for experienced fishkeepers. Im planning on a new tank and i swear to almighty god ill cycle it fishless.

I just need these nitrites to drop, not sure if im fiddling too much. Either way, im addicted.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fluval cycle is a bacteria in a bottle additive, not sure how well it works. There are a couple we know work when the instructions are followed.
Seachem Prime is a water conditioner/dechlorinator so you add it to the water before you add it to the tank when you do a water change, but it can be dosed at 5 times required dosage in emergencies to detoxify any ammonia/nitrite.
The bacteria will eventually catch up its more important to keep the toxin levels as low as possible to prevent long term damage to your fish.
Also if you cycle this tank and you get a new tank (eg upgrade) and you plan on moving your current fish to the new tank, you can set the new tank up and move your filter media from your current filter to the new one, and then move your fish over without having to go through a cycle, as the bacteria would already be established enough to support the current bioload. Hope that makes sense and doesnt add any more confusion :)
ReadyEddie

Gingerlove05 wrote: ↑Thu Dec 12, 2019 20:05 pm Fluval cycle is a bacteria in a bottle additive, not sure how well it works. There are a couple we know work when the instructions are followed.
Seachem Prime is a water conditioner/dechlorinator so you add it to the water before you add it to the tank when you do a water change, but it can be dosed at 5 times required dosage in emergencies to detoxify any ammonia/nitrite.
The bacteria will eventually catch up its more important to keep the toxin levels as low as possible to prevent long term damage to your fish.
Also if you cycle this tank and you get a new tank (eg upgrade) and you plan on moving your current fish to the new tank, you can set the new tank up and move your filter media from your current filter to the new one, and then move your fish over without having to go through a cycle, as the bacteria would already be established enough to support the current bioload. Hope that makes sense and doesnt add any more confusion :)
Not at all, i totally understand all that now after research, i actually cant wait to cycle a new tank.

Its this bloody nitrite issue that im finding hard to resolve, learning with fish in the tank is not good as well you know.

Is prime a brand? Can you link me to it, i want to make sure im getting the right thing. Bloody confusing with so many chemical aids on the market. Appreciate the replies bud, stay with me :D
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

There is a common metaphor for what you are dealing with, it's called "New Tank Syndrome" it's not uncommon, although this can happen to anybody more so with poor tank maintenance.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Prime is the product name, Seachem is the brand :)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seachem-Prime- ... B00025694O
The nitrites can stay high for 10days when fishless cycling, so it may take a few days and plenty of water changes until things settle. Your doing the right thing but patience is key in fish keeping as nothing is instant ;)
Pleco Fan wrote: ↑Thu Dec 12, 2019 20:54 pm There is a common metaphor for what you are dealing with, it's called "New Tank Syndrome" it's not uncommon, although this can happen to anybody more so with poor tank maintenance.
Your right its new tank syndrome but thats not down to poor maintenance, new tank syndrome is caused by adding fish to an uncycled tank/aquarium.
It is possible to cause spikes with poor tank maintenance eg excess waste food, not refreshing nutrients causing carbonate deficiency for the filter bacteria causing them to stall :)
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
Iain has put you on the right track with water changes, Seachem Prime as a conditioner, and a product to add useful munchers.
I tested "Cycle" several years ago and it didn't do anything, so, unless they've changed the formula it may not be that helpful. Seachem Stability and Tetra Safestart are both useful with a few small fish.
There are a couple of others, but they need to be used before adding fish.
Benville
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 87 times

Also top tip, not sure who's telling you to leave the tank alone, but Pets at Home are literally the last people on the planet to accept advice from.

I started out a year ago in a similar situation to you, mother in law bought a tank for the kids and I had to learn how to do it. Same stuff, being told fish after a day was fine, fighting an over stocked tank with constant ammonia and nitrites and staff at P@H saying it's all okay, just need to leave it alone, water changes kill bacteria etc etc

It's all nonsense, they have no idea.

I may have missed it but I cant see in your posts what dechlorinator you are using on water changes? Or had you been told the Fluval stuff would do that?
ReadyEddie

Benville wrote: ↑Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:45 am Also top tip, not sure who's telling you to leave the tank alone, but Pets at Home are literally the last people on the planet to accept advice from.

I started out a year ago in a similar situation to you, mother in law bought a tank for the kids and I had to learn how to do it. Same stuff, being told fish after a day was fine, fighting an over stocked tank with constant ammonia and nitrites and staff at P@H saying it's all okay, just need to leave it alone, water changes kill bacteria etc etc

It's all nonsense, they have no idea.

I may have missed it but I cant see in your posts what dechlorinator you are using on water changes? Or had you been told the Fluval stuff would do that?
I know mate, they are absolute jokers, never again.

Im using a product called tap safe to dechlorinate and the fluval cycle is added after a water change. No idea how good tap safe is, that came from pets at home too so its probably useless :)