120 litre stocking

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Mully333
Been liked: 2 times

Hi All,

I'm a bit new to all this. My daughter and myself both really like tropical fish so we've taken the plunge.
I'm in the process of cycling the tank without any fish, but we are getting near to the exciting stage of deciding what fish we want.
We are looking at a community tank and was wondering what you think of the below choices (120litre tank 78cms long by 53cms height by 38cms width....I think).

6 x Cherry Barbs (2 male, 4 female I guess)
9 x Cardinal Tetras
6 x Corys (not sure which ones yet)
1 x Dwarf Gourami (male)
1 x Bristlenose

Does this sound okay? I know to try and give the Corys and Bristlenose seperate areas if possible.
Can I add any more than this? If so some suggestions would be great.
Any suggestions on what order to add them?

Any other ideas? Anything essential to add to the tank....drift wood, real plants etc?

Thanks
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

Welcome to the madhouse :)

my nominal 80L community tank (and yes I am new to all thi smyself as well) has 4 Platys,10 Neon Tetra, 12 Ember Tetra & 6 Panda Corys which puts me at about 92% stocking (based on 70 litres to allow for substrate etc) based on aqadvisor (which as I've learnt is a guideline especially when it comes to parameters) . Advise I received was to try & stick at around 85% stocking

What I've found helpful; here is to let people know about your water parameters ie the PH & Hardness (you can get these from your water authority website if you dont have test kits yet)
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

Punching your dimensions in at aqadvisor your list comes out at 61% Stocking level so (to my mind at least) its all down to your water parameters :)

Mullys AqAdvisor
Mully333

Thanks for your replies Mikey....not sure on the Ph levels off the top of my head.....My water hardness is below. Not really sure what it means, other than it says its hard water.

256 mg/l CaCO3
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

water hardness is one thing that's really made my head hurt lol

Looking at Stephens handy chart that 256 mg/l CaCO3 equates too around 14 dgh (degrees german hardness) or *HARD*

NB your water authorities site my have the PH listed as Hydrogen Ion

eg for United Utilities where I am I have to go to the full details to find it (My API test kit has it as 7.2 from the tap)

Hydrogen ion (pH) 7.03(min) 7.25(avg) 7.54(max)
Mully333

Thanks Mikey....just had a look at the website you suggested and when I type it in I get 90% stocked.....so no others then!

My DH comes out at just below the highest recommended on AqAdisor.....so hopefully ok!
Also my PH comes out at 7.33 which again is just below the highest recommended on AqAdisor.....so again, hopefully ok!

Looks like there will be a lot of fingers crossed moments then lol.
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

Hello and welcome

Great advice so far from Mike about hardness etc. Aqadvisor will say 5-15dgh for pretty much every fish though. Others will be able to advise on what hardness will enable the fish to be in the best possible water. Www.seriouslyfish.com has helpful info on fish species and requirements. You also need to take temperature into account. Not all fish like it to be the same. Bear in mind that the range of hardness/temp given will include the very extremes that they shouldn’t be kept at long term. Try and find the “middle ground” for each fish and see where they overlap. Always double check on the forum too with other members who have experience keeping the fish you’re after. They will be a huge help.

I don’t really ‘do’ tropicals so I can’t help much on that side. Sorry! There has just been a massive update to the site so hang around and the others will be along soon to help :)

Good fun this fish lark isn’t it? :)
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Welcome to the forum. :)

The cardinals will want it a lot warmer than the others, and won't do particularly well in hard water (neither will the corys if you get an ammonia spike ;) ).
I'd look at something like x-ray tetras (they can take the harder water) instead.
Mully333

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far!

Ok so if I change the Cardinals to X-rays that sounds good to me!

Would around 6 Harlequin Rasboras do well too as another addition?
Mully333

Oh and Mikey I realised the error I made on aqadvisor.....i didn't put the filter, so yes 61% was correct....meaning I can add a few more which is great news.....I'll try to go no more than around 75% stocked.