Sick goldfish

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Ides of March
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Hello,

About 3 weeks ago we purchased a new Oranda goldfish from our local aquatics shop. This Sunday evening I noticed that it was out of character and sitting on the bottom of the tank hidden behind an ornament. Normally this fish is swimming around and seemed relatively happy. Feeding doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, the fish does come out when he hears movement etc. I didn't notice too much wrong with the fish - some slight discolouration/white bits on the wen/head but I checked a few pictures I took when we first got it and they appeared to be there at that point in time.

Fast forward to Tuesday morning and the fish is still acting in the same manner, except this time I notice almost like some sort of graze/loose white skin stuff on the top of it's wen and at the side. It's relatively small but after checking out online I think it might be a Fungal infection.

Tuesday afternoon/evening I picked up a bottle of Pimafix and did a 25% water change + cleaned my FX4 filter/canister as I haven't done it since setting up the tank (June/July time). To my surprise the filters weren't that dirty at all, just required a rinse in the old water. We have a 250 litre tank so I added about 35ml of the Pimafix.

This morning I came down to feed and checkup and a different fish (Ranchu) which has been healthy appeared to have a small white bit of loose skin or w/e it is on it's head also.

Starting to get concerned at this point because I don't want to lose any of the little guys and any help would really be appreciated. I have taken some photos but they're not very clear. The first 3 photos are from when we first purchased the fish a few weeks ago. I didn't note the white bits as I thought that might have just been the fish but it appears to have gotten worse more recently. The last picture of the Ranchu also shows a white bit hanging off from it's head which was not there before this morning.

Thanks.

Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

I too have noticed this on a couple of my goldies from time to time. The little white bits (mine have mostly looked like the bottom picture) have always disappeared within a few days with me doing nothing. At first I thought ‘parasite’ but doesn’t seem to be. When I recently had to treat my tank due to a poorly fish it made no difference to the one who had a white bit at the time.

Perhaps others can help more with a diagnosis.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

Don't they get little marks like that when they get into spawning mode?
Jen1981
Posting Legend
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 90 times

Yeah my make calico has little white spots on his gills and fins then chases my orange female around like mad! Doesn’t look the same in those pics though, my calico does get the odd fungus type patch every now and then but I just do a couple of water changes then it clears up
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

Breeding spots are quite different to those in the pics. You only really get them on the gill covers and the front of their front fins. A lot of people think their goldies have white spot when it’s just the boys feeling a bit frisky!!

I’ve got an excellent pic of breeding spots hidden away on my laptop but this almost shows them up (was best I could do quickly on my phone with a wriggly Hubble)

500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Ides of March

Thanks for your replies guys.

I have taken some steps try and figure out what’s going on because I’m desperate to not lose anymore.

Some photos are attached below.

After doing some research online it seems a quarantine/hospital tank seemed like a reasonably good idea. We had an old 54 litre tank available with a small filter and heater which has been used.

I transferred some water from the existing tank and filled it including one of the air stones.

I haven’t been able to use a mature filter sponge because I don’t have one small enough to fit into the filter. However I have added a couple bacteria balls to try and assist.

After setting up the tank and transferring the fish I added about 6-7ml of Pimafix and 2 and half tablespoons of API aquarium salt.

The temperature is around about 24C currently and am trying to keep a temperature of about 26C.

The fish have been fed some sinking pellets and I will monitor progress.

Do you guys have any pointers or tips? Is there something I should do differently? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

Personally I would put some of your mature media in a bag directly in the quarantine tank. Better than facing possible extra issues from the fish being in an uncycled tank :)
Ides of March

I have an FX4 filter and the sponges are huge. Can I cut a bit of the sponge out and put it in the filter?
Ides of March

Just a quick update. I have opened up my FX4 filter and cut some of the medium/large sponge out and swapped it with the filter sponge on the hospital/quarantine tank. So hopefully this will have transferred some of the good bacteria with it.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Yep it should have :D
I’ve cut and stuffed sponges in all my filters when moving fish over to a different tank (or QT) :)