Never had a fishless cycle

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

Whilst a fish in cycle is (as I have learnt since joining AFUK) is an old fashioned method which was used successfully for many years there are better ways of doing it (as I said tank#1 aka Fireplace was Fish In and took 55 Days before I could start building up stock week by week. Tank#2 aka Sunnyside was done fishless by adding ammonia daily and took 22 days to cycle then had all the stoock pretty much added at the same time.

The way I look at it is during a fishin cycle you are effectivly the bacteria. You need to monitor ammonia/nitrite & nitrate levels like a hawk and be prepared to carry out large daily water chnages if required based on the water parameter results. Seachem prime can also be your friend to help control the levels until such time as the beneficial. bacteria kick in and take over from you.

Whatever you do be patient and don't be tempted to add any more stock until you are satisfied that your tank is fully cycled with the current stock, and then when adding go back to close monitoring.

https://fishlab.com/fish-in-cycle/
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

I'm not sure how efficient the Quick Start is.
Using that with water changes may help to boost the munchers, But I don't know.
Does that strip test for ammonia, as it doesn't look as though it does?
Follow the advice so far and you should be ok, but remember that, because of the toxins, the fish probably won't live a full lifespan. Ammonia and nitrite tend to cause development problems to essential organs, especially the gills and internals like liver and kidneys.
ahulleman
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 71 times

I am sort of debating of adjusting/optimizing my CF2 filter... Basicly removing the cartridges and replacing them with sponges and ceramic rings on top and have a prefilter on the intake (however the intake is fery small so not sure how to do that) so i can on the long term create more bacteria! because when i replace the cartridges, surely i am removing all beneficial bacteria too?! Where as with sponges, i can simply squeeze them in the used water from my aquarium to clean them?
Click to see my current tank

Tank: 64Ltr Love Fish Panorama with Tetra IN600 internal filter (modified to have bio and sponge filtration)
10 Harlequin Rasbora's
3 Male Guppies
2 yellow neocardia shrimp, 8 Amano shrimp and assassin snails as my maintenance crew

You never know where to look when eating a banana ::angel::
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Yes, don't replace the cartridges unless they're blocked and stopping the flow through the filter.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

In fact, when they do that, just swish them in old tankwater to shift the gunk. ;)

(I didn't realise I hadn't put that yesterday..... :rolleyes: )
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Do you know of any other fishkeepers nearby who could give you some established media? Just pop that in the filter to help your fish at present. Still need to keep an eye on the parameters but at least you know you've got a head start with those bacterial colonies.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Ric wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:02 pm Do you know of any other fishkeepers nearby who could give you some established media? Just pop that in the filter to help your fish at present. Still need to keep an eye on the parameters but at least you know you've got a head start with those bacterial colonies.
... to add, if you don't know anyone locally, why not post a question on social media sites to see if any local fishkeepers reply.

Might be worth a try. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
ahulleman

There are a few, but they all closed atm due to the whole covid stuff going on!
Ill await my proper test kit (should be here tomorrow) and see what the proper readings are, And will go from there!
Once received, ill test and keep you guys updated lol.

Tank: 64Ltr Love Fish Panorama with Tetra IN600 internal filter (modified to have bio and sponge filtration)
10 Harlequin Rasbora's
3 Male Guppies
2 yellow neocardia shrimp, 8 Amano shrimp and assassin snails as my maintenance crew

ahulleman

Ok, so a quick update... I went to a "semi" local (about 30 miles away lol) aquarium store to pick up a used sponge filter... he ended up selling me a used betta internal filter 600 with sponge.. (he pulled it out of the aquarium in my presence)
Bagged it in aquarium water, ready for me to take home (came down to £15).
Just installed it in my tank, to find out that this pump (which is rated for 45-100 ltr) is rather to powerful as my poor little rasbora's are being flung from one end to the other as soon they get in the path of the filter outlet...
Now what do i do? lol
I mean, i cant really afford to buy anything more as my other half is getting noticably annoyed with me :cry: :cry: :cry:

10 Harlequin Rasbora's
3 Male Guppies

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Take the media out of the one you've just got , pop it either in the current filter or else somewhere in the water flow and take the washing machine out, if you can't turn it down. ;)