How much salt per litre

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Fabian
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

At present, I have a couple of small tanks, (40ltr) and want to setup up a saltwater tank without any fish in it so I can get used to keeping them in good condition with various tests (Good Housekeeping). I'd like to know how much salt I should add to 1 litre ow water to give me some idea as to how much to add to the tank. Just multiply by 40.

This is just a first step in my new hobby to keeping 'Clownfish'.

Well, you've got to start somewhere. It will be a couple of months before I get a pair of young males but this way I can keep them with a lot more confidence than just starting all at once.

Thanks a lot. . :swim:
Fabian . :swim2:
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4200 times

Each marine salt is different. Follow what it says on the packaging.

Aquarium salt, table salt, rock salt etc isn’t the same.
Fabian

Thanks, fr499y

I should have guessed that information would be on the container but wasn't sure. The container (Instant Ocean) arrived yesterday and sure enough, it had a scale on one side. So that's sorted.

While we're on the subject of water can I ask if aquarium owners use 'Tap' water in their tanks and treat it to bring it up to certain standards as the purchase of De-ironised water isn't cheap and you've got to buy a lot of it to fill a 4ft tank? Then there are the water changes every couple of weeks. It all mounts up. Your views on this subject would be most welcomed.

Many thanks.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Don't use tap water. Too much phosphates and stuff in it. You need it as pure as you can and RO as a minimum. RO-DI if you can. I used to get 25L of fresh for £2.50 ( iirc ). You can use a company called Spotless Water which works out VERY cheaply! Somewhere around £1.20 for 25L of RO :)

You don't want to give yourself more of a headache by using Tap, just for the sake of saving a few pennies
DaveMilly
Been liked: 11 times

An RO unit will be your best friend. You can pick up a fairly decent one for £80-120 which would suit. You’ll recoup the costs on travelling and buying RO on a weekly basis
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

for me, a spotless water is 5 miles up the road, which ends up being a lot cheaper than buying, maintaining and running an RO unit :)
Fabian

Thanks for the reply fr499y

Naturally, I'll take your advice and go with Spotless Water. I've looked around for 'Deionised Water' and found a supplier on Amazon @ £13.97 for 25ltr, but your supplier is ever so cheap and there's a site in Lincoln too. I don't drive but will get the bus (bus pass) and take a 25lt container once I've signed up.

Thanks a lot.