This patience lark

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Ghost Gum
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 25 times

Thank you!

I'll hold off on both then for now, see what's happening tomorrow.
Ghost Gum

An update!

I still have ammonia but it's down to 1ppm.
Nitrite, it could be 2 it could, it could be 5 or I may need glasses but it has certainly risen.
Also I have a small amount of Nitrates too, closer to 5ppm than 0 for sure.

The cloudyness is also disappearing slowly.
Not much else to report really but happy things are moving along.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

I will counsel caution RE: Nitrate. When the Ammonia and Nitrite tests have readings the Nitrate test is well known for giving false positives. It could be the case that at some point for no understandable reason the Nitrates appear to spike, this will be a lie.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Ghost Gum

Thankyou @SPACKlick, sorry for only just seeing that comment now.

For what it is worth another weekly update.
The nitrate now reads above 5ppm although given the above comment maybe I should hold off testing that until more happens elsewhere.
The ammonia is still sitting at around 1ppm, I have not added any more to the tank since before the first nitrites showed up a couple of weeks ago.
The nitrites are now clearly 5ppm or more, very bright purple.
My ph has shot up to 8.4.

Other comments, the water is now as clear as it has ever been, nothing added to clear it.
My stick has finally sunk but still covered in a white fuzz/film which even looks as if there is some red in under it now. Should I take it out and clean it or maybe boil it?
Could that be creating more ammonia or the ph spike?
There is also a small area where some type of orange/yellow substance has formed on my gravel and seems to very slowly be spreading. If it helps its Flamingo brand fine gravel.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

The mould on the wood isn't a problem, just looks a bit weird, you can just scrub it off if you want.
Ghost Gum

Cheers, I'll give it a scrub at some point.

This weeks Sunday update.

My ammonia has been falling slowly all week and today it is very nearly zero, just the slightest of green tinge to it.
Nitrites are still 5 or over so I guess tomorrow I should top up with ammonia again and sit back for a while.
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Good to see you have some movement with the ammonia. If you scrub the wood try and have a syphon going to catch all the stuff that comes away.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Top the ammonia back up to 2ppm. :)
Ghost Gum

[/quote]
Andys temperate tank wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 18:56 pm Good to see you have some movement with the ammonia. If you scrub the wood try and have a syphon going to catch all the stuff that comes away.
Yeah the movement is encouraging. I was planning on taking it out and scrubbing it under the hose but this serves as a timely reminder I need to order a syphon and some general maintenance equipment. I'll do that this week.
plankton wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:13 am Top the ammonia back up to 2ppm. :)
I did that yesterday after a small water change, I got sidetracked and didn't measure it after an hour or so to make sure it was at 2 though. But I wrote the dose down so it should of been pretty much around 2.
Today's reading though is under 1 with nitrites as dark as I have seen them so I guess if there is a good reduction in ammonia tomorrow as well then things hopefully maybe speeding up.

Thanks again all for comments and observations. :)
Ghost Gum

Today ammonia back down to 0, so I topped up again and waited for a bit then measured again and my dose is 2 or thereabouts.
Things are moving quicker now then. I'll get there.