Getting there

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
algae
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 13 times

Its been nearly 3 months since the first drop of water went in my new tank. The idea of keeping fish was intended as a lockdown project. Years ago back in the 70s both my wife and I kept marine tanks. We found the hobby both fascinating and expensive. The two set ups cost well over £3000 which was quite a lump back in those days and to be truthful it was the cost that steered me towards the freshwater seen this time round. So I'm not a complete novice but I still class myself as a beginner especially when it comes to looking after live plants. The first mistake I made was using just gravel and not a soil or nutrient rich substrate. So with your help I would like to rectify this situation. What I had in mind was to excavate (if that's the right word) then infill with new soil 2or3 inches deep and backfill the gravel on top. If this is the way to go how much disturbance should I do in a day. One other thing, how long does it take the plants to drain the nutrients from the soil.
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

You don't have fish yet, right?

I'd completely empty the tank to add soil. Doesn't need to be so deep. Plant when dry too if you can. So much easier.

Not sure how long it lasts. Some say they absorb nutrients from the water column, but hard to know how accurate that is
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

You only require around 1cm of plant substrate and this is best topped with sand.
Sand is more friendly for fish such as corydoras or cichlids that feed from the substrate.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
MasonJ19
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 100 times

I have changed substrate all at once in a few hours with fish. Just scooped all the gravel out one cup at a time and then put soil back in a cup at a time. Your water will likely be very cloudy afterwards but with mine it was crystal clear again the next day. Depends in your filter is to how quickly it will clear.
I wouldn't worry to much about disturbing the gravel I would only say you need to be careful if you had a deep layer of sand. You can do a gravel vac and empty some of the water before hand if its easier.
Feather_Borb
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 239 times

Unless you have some very picky plants, you don't actually need a special plant substrate. You can just poke in root tabs every few months.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5047 times
Been liked: 3421 times

If you have fish, don't bother to try and get soil in a wet tank.
If you don't have fish, do what @Stephen suggests, in an empty tank.
The filter, if it's cycled, will hold the "munchers" for a day or so anyway.
Oh, I don't use soil, just sand.
:)
algae
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 13 times

The idea of keeping my own tank was first put in my head when my daughter bought a pre owned tank from a real enthusiast. I couldn't believe it when she phoned saying she just bought a second hand aquarium for £500. My first thoughts were she's been ripped off but when I went round and saw this beautiful solid oak unit that came with a load of quality equipment it only took a minute to realise she did alright So that sowed the seed as it were and I now have an established 4ftx1ft 150lt tank filtered by a Fluval 207 housing 9 Neon's and 7 Guppies. Now having read all your posts for which I thank you for I think I might take the easy option and insert root tabs and go for less fussy plants. As much as I love the look of well landscaped tanks it was never my intention to become a fanatic but since I joined this forum and the more knowledge I absorb from you guys the more I feel myself being sucked in. I just wish someone else would pick up the bills for all this stuff I keep buying. ;)
FishyMcFishFace
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 100 times

it is possible to add, nutrient rich substrate to a tank with water in it, using the plastic bottle method, its not particularly messy either. Planting into substrate only is fiddly though but the roots do take quickly.
Aquamanta 90L Nano
6 Cardinal Tetra
4 Pepper Cory
6 Galaxy Rasbora
6 Amber Tetra
2 Rams (1 blue, 1 golden (breeding))

... More to come...