Strength of water flow

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Gill
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 13 times

I’ve changed my internal filter today, saving the media and putting it in the new one. The old one had no means of regulating the water flow and I think was a bit sluggish, the new one seems quite powerful and can be regulated.
I have dwarf rainbows, glow light tetras, and platys, can anyone please advise on generally how strong a water flow would be most suitable.
Thanks.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

If you have plants its generally advised that they sway gently, but otherwise you just need it to ripple the surface to generate oxygen exchange.
The flow also depends on the species you keep, longer streamlined fish (like the tetras, rainbows and platys) should be ok with a medium flow, whereas bettas would need a low flow because of pulling around their finnage, high flow fish would be the likes of hillstream loaches.
As long as your fish aren’t being blown around the tank (like a washing machine) and they’re not struggling to swim around they should be fine.
Hope that helps :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Gill
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 13 times

Many thanks, I think I’ll turn it way back to make them more comfortable.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

I always worried the water flow in my tank is too strong 🙈 but then was watching fish and they are fine, love occasional play in the current, and filter also slightly slowed down especially before it needs cleaning . So I don’t think stronger flow is too much problem, as long as fish aren’t hiding or struggling to swim..
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4375 times
Been liked: 2888 times

I've got a lot of water moving in my big tank.

The Angel's breed like clock work and everything else is happy. Nothing wrong with extra flow.

It will help clean the platy poo up. :D
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 7 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 2 SAE.
BAINBRIDGE
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 59 times

Redpanda wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 20:26 pm I always worried the water flow in my tank is too strong 🙈 but then was watching fish and they are fine, love occasional play in the current, and filter also slightly slowed down especially before it needs cleaning . So I don’t think stronger flow is too much problem, as long as fish aren’t hiding or struggling to swim..
I agree. When arranging the outlets I was concerned that the fish might get buffeted too much, but they seem to move between slow and high flow areas as they fancy.
Juwel Trigon 190:

5 Bronze Cory
1 Panda Cory
1 male BN Plec
9 Tiger barbs

Quarantine tank:

6 Tiger Barbs
5 Golden Wonder Panchax