Hard water and high nitrate

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Blockhead
Been liked: 1 time

Hi,

I'm hoping when I move house in London to have a new aquarium. The water here is quite hard at 263ppm, but the fish I would like are all hard water species.

My main concern is the high nitrate level in the tap water which is 33.9 mean and a max of 43.8. Looks like on a water change I will just be filling the tank up with nitrate again.

Someone mentioned getting a Pozzani filter which removes most (not all) of the nitrate.

Someone again mentioned getting an RO filter.

Would the plants in my prospective aquarium use up all the nitrate from the tap water?

Any thoughts would be much welcome. Thanks. Dom. ::thumbu::
algae
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 13 times

My mains water has 50ppm + nitrates and I use a Pozzani filter (£35) which removes them completely. Its quite easy to set up, (nothing permanent) all you need is hozelock fittings to connect the Pozzani canister plus means of controlling the flow into a suitable vessel. I found a 45lt food grade container on e-bay £13 which is ideal and it takes approximately 20 minutes to fill it. In my case its quite a hike from vessel to tank so I use a small submersible pump and a long hose Of course depending on the size of your tank and where its located you may not need a pump. I bought an RO system not realizing how much water they waste. I may use it in the summer when the garden can benefit from it.
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

You can get resin to go in the filter too. My tank nitrate is lower than tap!
Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down
RandomTeaPig
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 87 times

I live on the London/Kent borders and i run a Pozzani filter for water changes. Gotta say its pretty decent.
My tanks are quite far from my taps and the container i heat the water in though so like algae i run a small submersible pump to cover the distance.
dh 18
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

I live in kent, my nitrates are around 40ppm out of the tap. I have matrix in my filters that reduces it to around 30ppm in the tank. I live with that, the fish are all fine.