Water change questions

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

Are you using the API test kit? From 1-20 is pretty much indestinguishable, as is anything above that. I use it as orange is good, red is bad.

The JBL is much better for getting a reading, although 50-100 is so high that it doesn't make much difference.

On the subject of Pozzani nitrate filters, I bought one thinking I want really low nitrates for Rams and Discus. Turns out Seachem Matrix works really well and my nitrates have dropped from about 50ppm to 1ppm in 3 weeks. It might not be so effective when fully stocked, but definitely working well right now
Ides of March
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

I will perform another water change tonight. Will do a bit more than 50%.

I have some test strips and the API test tube kit, but that takes a while to get readings so I just use strips at the moment.

Yes I have a Pozzani filter.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Strips are notoriously inaccurate. :)
Ides of March
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Just performed a water change, about 60%/70%.

Tested water and it’s down to 5PPM - 20PPM. Using the API test kit as more reliable it seems.

Going to perform another water change tomorrow to see.

Thanks for your help guys, seem to be getting somewhere.
Art
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 105 times

If there is too much nitrate, it shows that the nitrogen cycle is working well. Nitrate is a nutrient for plants. It should be 5 to 20 mg / liter.
My aquariums are very heavily planted and I have too little nitrate. (Shrimp tanks). I add ammonium to make the nitrate rise above 5.

The vegetation may be too weak if nitrate is not consumed