Leaving the tank

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
ChimpAndy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 17 times

So after splitting with my ex and having to sell my last tank and temporarily move back in with my parents. I'm now close to completing the purchase of my next house and there is a spot just crying out for a nice big tank! My problem is this though, I work away 2 weeks on 2 weeks off...... Now I'm pretty sure that I know the answer and its not the 1 I want to hear, but is it possible to leave a tank for 2 weeks every month? lights set on a timer, an automatic feeder and a good water change before and after my trip away? what are peoples experiences with automated tanks?

I'm aware that the larger the tank then the more forgiving it is with regards to the water quality. Would a tropical or marine tank fair better being left for 2 weeks at a time?

I would really appreciate any advice that I get, I really loved my old tank And I would love to have another one but I'm just not sure that its doable now there is nobody to look after it while I'm away.

Cheers
Chimp
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

I read part of a thread on this Forum last year, where a member went on holiday for 2 weeks and simply left the fish to deal with it. They all survived fine and in addition he stated that he had never seen his tank so clean! Hopefully some member will point you to that thread.
MasonJ19
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 100 times

2 weeks isn't actually too long. Larger water changes can be done every 2 weeks easy enough some people do that anyway instead of weekly. Not to sure how reliable automatic feeders are I have never personally used one. I would say its different going on holiday for 2 weeks once every year to sort of every months in terms of leaving fish without food. But water quality can easily be maintained being left 2 weeks. But like you said more volume of water means more stable parameters.
keithmart
Been liked: 13 times

Hi

Some years ago a neighbour near me died, and 12 months later the local council had cause to enter the property. Inside was a three foot tropical tank, complete with fish and all seemed ok. I doubt that two weeks would cause a problem. This tank didn't even have a water change.
Regards

Keith
Leeds UK

Remember you are unique .......Just like everyone else
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2268 times
Been liked: 1927 times

My 2 main tanks will be on a 2 week Rota for water changes once they settle down, certainly you want a larger tank to do this, also check the hardness of the water if it's very soft this might cause more of an issue with unstable parameters, the feeding might be more of a worry as those large blocks risk polluting the water, if it was me I would pay a pet sitter to stop in a couple of times just check things are ok and put some food in, around here that's likely to cost around £10 so not a bank breaker, good luck with the new place ;)
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Check the KH of the water.
If it's below 4 then you may get problems with ph and hardness swings, if above you should be ok (as above). :)
Water change before you go and then when you get back should be ok.
Don't get anything that will eat other fish though as you could come home to a tank with just one fish in. ;)
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Can you not just find a new bird? Problem solved 😉
ChimpAndy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 17 times

Thanks everyone for your inputs! I'm thinking of going for a decent sized tropical aquarium and heavily planting it and not going over the top with the fish to keep the water consistent. Maybe just a couple of larger centre piece fish (something hardy) or a Betta ::think:: I will have a look at some auto feeders for while I'm away but would probably pay someone to pop in twice a week until I'm confident in the system.

PaulVerrall wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:14 pm Can you not just find a new bird? Problem solved 😉
Haha give me some time to enjoy single life! :H the new house is a definite bachelor pad :tongue:
algae
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 13 times

I don't think you will have any problems operating your tank on a 2wk rotor system as far as water parameters are concerned but auto feeders rely on hard pellet type food and some are effected by condensation and jam up so I would certainly try and get someone to help out. You could try a feeder and test it for 2 wks under similar conditions it will left and see how it goes.
cdelly
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 22 times

The biggest problem for leaving a tank for 2 weeks is evaporation, if your parents can top when needed (prepare the water before hand) then would be fine

have used auto feeders and found eheim one to be best, used flavel and was ok.

the fish will find food in the tank.

as long as you dont make any big changes (adding fish, new chems) you'll be fine

Cheers
Chris
Cheers
Chris

Still know nothing :rolleyes: :rolleyes: