Bbroom89's Tank/s Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

bbroom89 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 22:07 pm
My water is harder than Rocky Balboa out of the tap but not adverse to working with it if needed!

435 mg/l (or parts per million) :Calcium Carbonate
174 mg/l (or parts per million) :Calcium
30.276 °C :Degrees Clark
43.5 °F :Degrees French
24.708 °dH :Degrees German
4.35 mmol/l :Millimoles
That is really hard! Does it come out of the tap as ready mixed cement? :D
You’d have to soften quite a lot of keep the corys happy long term (below 10-12dgh)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
bbroom89
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 23:44 pm Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
Thanks Martin!
60L - Super Delta Betta Male, 11 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 Purple Rasbora, 6 Peppered Cory, 5 Amano Shrimp, 2 Zebra Snails
240L - To be continued!
bbroom89

Gingerlove05 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:31 am That is really hard! Does it come out of the tap as ready mixed cement? :D
You’d have to soften quite a lot of keep the corys happy long term (below 10-12dgh)
It offers me out in the car park when I turn the tap on :D

I was thinking of the API softener pillow and maybe some peat moss as well in a bag in the filter, also Tetra EasyBalance says it balances KH so if anyone knows or has experience with this it would be much appreciated.

I would rather avoid R/O, especially at the moment but not sure of other options.
60L - Super Delta Betta Male, 11 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 Purple Rasbora, 6 Peppered Cory, 5 Amano Shrimp, 2 Zebra Snails
240L - To be continued!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5061 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
The water looks best for Rift Lake cichlids and synos...... ;)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3916 times

I had to double check your water companies name wasn't 'Blue Circle', thought my water was bad enough at 302 ppm but Norwich iron brew!

@bbroom89 always remember the water companies are only interested in one issue, whether or not their water quality meets the Drinking Water Inspectorate guidelines. :dodgy2:
plankton wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:41 am The water looks best for Rift Lake cichlids and synos...... ;)
Think even those species @plankton would need swimming aids. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
bbroom89

plankton wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:41 am Welcome to the forum. :)
The water looks best for Rift Lake cichlids and synos...... ;)
Thanks Plankton!

Cichlids have always been a divisive fish for me, they are very beautiful (I had some yellow labs at one point and they were great) however the aggression of some always makes me a bit nervous. I love most bottom dwellers so definitely not against Synos.

I do think I was leaning towards a community tank setup with a big shoal, a couple of centerpiece fish and a nice active bottom community. Just making it work with the water, i just cannot fathom the hassle of getting 100 litres of R/O water back home every week for changes.
240L - To be continued!
bbroom89

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:56 am I had to double check your water companies name wasn't 'Blue Circle', thought my water was bad enough at 302 ppm but Norwich iron brew!

@bbroom89 always remember the water companies are only interested in one issue, whether or not their water quality meets the Drinking Water Inspectorate guidelines. :dodgy2:
plankton wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:41 am The water looks best for Rift Lake cichlids and synos...... ;)
And my OH doesn't understand why I drink bottled water only!
240L - To be continued!
jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:56 am I had to double check your water companies name wasn't 'Blue Circle', thought my water was bad enough at 302 ppm but Norwich iron brew!

Does that say "Aggressively hard"? Out in the car park might be right then!

Hi and welcome!
If you were thinking about adjusting water parameters, could you go down the line of your own RO unit? Would save turning your car into a mobile aquarium?
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3916 times

jammedfool wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:50 am Does that say "Aggressively hard"? Out in the car park might be right then!
It sure does, it's from Harvey water softener company website for Norwich, I thought it was somewhat amusing.

If you look up Anglian water it shows the same results. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3412 times

bbroom89 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:33 am I was thinking of the API softener pillow and maybe some peat moss as well in a bag in the filter, also Tetra EasyBalance says it balances KH so if anyone knows or has experience with this it would be much appreciated.

I would rather avoid R/O, especially at the moment but not sure of other options.
This is what API say about the so-called API Water Softener Pillow
API wrote:Rinse pouch under tap water. Place pouch in path of water flow in the aquarium filter. Activity of the pillow lasts 48 hours. After 48 hours, recharging is necessary.
API Water Softener Pillow can be recharged and re-used up to 4 times.
This is what Tetra say about the Tetra EasyBalance
Tetra wrote:Details
Stabilises important carbonate hardness (KH) and pH water values
Simplifies aquarium maintenance: no need for monthly partial water changes with a moderate fish stock
Extends the period between (partial) water changes
Sustainably reduces phosphate and nitrate
Contains essential vitamins and minerals for healthy fish and plants
Minimises tap water consumption
Suitable for all freshwater aquariums
Ideal for simplifying the maintenance of soft water aquariums, such as those containing discus fish
In my view neither product will really help to soften your very hard water.

The real solution for keeping soft water fish species is mixing tap water with RO water.
Soft water fish species will not do well in the wrong water.
If your tap water is 24.7 dGH (German) then the aim is for something below 12dGH.
The ratio for mixing tap water with RO water would be something like 40:60 (40% tap water with 60% RO water) to give approx 10dGH (lower would be even better).
On a 240L aquarium then that equates to approx 140L of RO water + tap water as a start.
If you do 20% weekly water changes then you will be changing approx 48L per week which would consist of approx 30L of RO water + 18L tap water.

The simplest answer is to keep fish species that are suitable to your water.
Rift lake cichlids (either Lake Malawi or Lake Tanganyika, which can not be mixed, it's one or the other) can be very colourful, I personally have admired these fish in the LFS (local fish stockist).

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)