Is my platy ok?

Vlowman
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 5 times

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

I'm pretty sure my water is fine (I test and water change regularly) but this one platy is concerning me. In some lights he looks pretty much ok, like this:

But when the light catches him in a certain way it looks like he's losing scales, like this:

And while he generally goes about his business looking ok, he sometimes follows another, smaller male around (it's an all male tank) and gently rubs up against him. I haven't seen him rub against any rocks or anything else.

All advice or thoughts most appreciated.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

He’s fine :)
The white colour is the iridescence of the scales under the different light, you can still see the scales.
They’re not always identical in colour on both sides :)
Also the rubbing up against another male may just be him thinking the male is a smaller female (females are generally a bit bigger, at least mine were :D). But they will do this to other males, decor etc and they generally have a favourite. At least mine seemed to :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Vlowman
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 5 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 20:44 pm He’s fine :)
The white colour is the iridescence of the scales under the different light, you can still see the scales.
Thanks very much indeed. Glad I don't have some sort of illness in the tank!